Pipefish trapped in overflow

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the weir from my overflow for 2 minutes to clean it, and of course my pipefish got swept down when I wasn't looking. Now he's stuck at the bottom of the overflow and I'm not sure how I can get him out. This is on a Red Sea Reefer which has 3 pipes that take up most of the space, so there's no way I can fit my hand or a net inside.

Any ideas to rescue it, or just accept the overflow as his new home?

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the weir from my overflow for 2 minutes to clean it, and of course my pipefish got swept down when I wasn't looking. Now he's stuck at the bottom of the overflow and I'm not sure how I can get him out. This is on a Red Sea Reefer which has 3 pipes that take up most of the space, so there's no way I can fit my hand or a net inside.

When my pearly jawfish jumped in there we got him out by shutting off the return pump...letting the overflow empty out a bit, then siphoned him out with a large gauge hose into a bucket. Worked like a charm.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my pearly jawfish jumped in there we got him out by shutting off the return pump...letting the overflow empty out a bit, then siphoned him out with a large gauge hose into a bucket. Worked like a charm.

Great idea! Thanks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Let us know how it goes! Cheering for you and your pipefish!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a challenging situation. After several failed attempts to siphon him through a hose, I realized it's probably not going to work due to the pipes blocking access to him as he moves away from the hose. Here's a diagram of the overflow, looking down from the top. There's little room to work and the pipes present big obstacles:

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 10.57.18 PM.png

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crow and the pitcher? Some way to carefully add some light weight gravel or rubble to move him up in overflow.. need to be something you can siphon out or otherwise remove, maybe bioballs or siporax..idk

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I can’t find the pipefish. I think it may have found its way down the drain pipe, but I can’t find it in the sump either. I’m worried it got stuck in the diaphragm valve that controls the flow from the tank to the sump. :(

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I can’t find the pipefish. I think it may have found its way down the drain pipe, but I can’t find it in the sump either. I’m worried it got stuck in the diaphragm valve that controls the flow from the tank to the sump. :(
I would recommend at that point to take apart the plumbing... because if he is in there the clock is ticking for his life and if he passes that could cause problems because there is not a clean up crew able to dispose of him in there

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syphon out the water from the overflow and then disassemble the plumbing. Make sure you plan ahead and work quickly once the water is removed from those pipes, if it is still alive you'll give yourself a better chance to save it. Have room/tank temperature salt water on hand so you can pour it down the disassembled pipes to maybe coax it out.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just take the plumbing and set it inside your tank and maybe it swims out on it's own. Since you wont have your return pump on during this process be sure to run an air stone or a recirculating pump to maintain oxygen in the water.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my endoscope and found him stuck in the valve. I opened the valve all the way and that flushed him down into the sump where I can now see him, but he’s not moving. I’ll need to empty and remove the refugium tank to be able to get him out. Here's the video from inside the overflow pipe, and you can see at 1:24 where I opened the diaphragm valve to release him:

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my endoscope and found him stuck in the valve. I opened the valve all the way and that flushed him down into the sump where I can now see him, but he’s not moving. I’ll need to empty and remove the refugium tank to be able to get him out. Here's the video from inside the overflow pipe, and you can see at 1:24 where I opened the diaphragm valve to release him:

Wow....you have an endoscope? Hope the little guy is ok!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't make it. :(

IMG_6758.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back