Pistol/goby thoughts

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of the pistol/goby combo and have been considering adding a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp.

My dilemma is sand movement. I had a sand sifting goby that I HATED in my tank from years ago because he was always moving sand around and dumping it on corals.

What are people’s experiences with the pistol/goby combo.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pistol/yasha goby pair for a couple years now. They only really mess with the sand on the perimeter of the rocks.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of the pistol/goby combo and have been considering adding a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp.

My dilemma is sand movement. I had a sand sifting goby that I HATED in my tank from years ago because he was always moving sand around and dumping it on corals.

What are people’s experiences with the pistol/goby combo.

I have the same situation. My lawnmower goby buried the corals I have on the bottom. I will look for another option to shift my sand.

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience once they find their spot they stay in that area. My pair had two different openings to their burrows. I just moved stuff away from those openings and it was fine

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have different opinions based on the type of pistol shrimp. The tiger pistol shrimp are definitely big diggers. The red stripe pistol is much smaller and doesn't do as shifting of the sand.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The candy cane/ red striped pistol is like a kids sand scoop at the beach.

A tiger pistol is like a trio of bull dozers.

I’ve had both. Currently have a candy cane with a pair of Randall’s gobies for a year and have yet to uncover anything

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bonded shrimp/goby pair. Had em together over a yr. My shrimp landscspes EVERY NIGHT. Digs little burrows. Moves things around. Causes rock structures to sag and fall. He’s a real pain. But witnessing the relationship and interaction just blows my mind. Would never give them up. But also don’t have sand bed. I use crushed coral. And no corals. Yet. I’d think you’d be ok as long as rocks are firmly secured (unlike mine) and you keep corals off the floor. My shrimp will move anything he can lift to line the sides of his rock.

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yasha goby/candy pistol pair. Yasha goby won’t touch anything, and the candy pistol really only moves stuff within maybe 6 inches of his hole. If I leave a frag to close to him on the sand bed he’ll move it, but that’s the only thing he does. I love them.

You do have to put the rocks on the glass bottom, then add your sand, otherwise they’ll dig under the rocks and shift everything. If you don’t want sand on your corals, probably just avoid sand-sifting gobies, and give them a little space

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back