Pistol shrimp babies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maggie321
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Maggie321

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2017
Messages
888
Reaction score
1,080
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol has been hiding for about a week...I am hoping it's molting and not dead. Tonight I see hundreds maybe thousands of what looks like tiny shrimp. I am only going off of comparison to the freshwater shrimp (rcs) babies I have. Could my pistol have molted and released babies? I have only had the pistol a bit less than 2 months. I don't even know if pistol shrimp breed in captivity... any one got any ideas?
 
Assuming you only have the 1, it's unlikely. If I recall correctly the eggs hatch around 2 weeks after fertilization.
 
Hermits don't breed in captivity, do they?
 
Do you have a photograph? Most likely you are looking at mysis shrimp.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/live-mysis-shrimp-in-a-display-tank.237303/#post-2774203
I feed frozen mysis. But these are so tiny and some are red, yellow, pinkish, and white. I didn't think mysis would be colored like that. I have a healthy population of amphipods, but don't know what those look like as larvae. Been looking all day and it sounds like it's a long shot that they are pistols. More likely, they sound like dinner for my other tank critters.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new