Pistol shrimp bad molt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter helwrj28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

helwrj28

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Messages
386
Reaction score
97
Location
Lancaster
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago my pistol shrimp started acting a little bit more lethargic and I assumed it was getting ready to molt. It is paired with a YWG. I have periodically used my syringe to shoot food in it's lair but have not seen much action from the shrimp (goby happily takes food of course), but I have spotted it in the lair.

Today I decided to move their rock and see what's going on. The shrimp scurried around a bit but seems to be having difficultly moving because it's claws do not look right (pistol arm looks like it's rotated and it can't really lift the claw)... Anyone ever see this before? Anything that would be recommended to aide it's recovery?

Btw I have a reefer 350 with 2 clowns, a damselfish, cardinal fish, and some snails. I have not seen anything bother the shrimp or goby before this episode.
 
My pistol lost his big claw during a molt. Seems to be growing back now tho…and it never really seemed to affect him. He still digs like crazy…
 
My pistol lost his big claw during a molt. Seems to be growing back now tho…and it never really seemed to affect him. He still digs like crazy…
Thanks for the input. That's the weird thing the current claw looks awkward and heavy to the point the shrimp doesn't really move much from or within it's lair
 
Well I'm thinking it must've died.. I can see part of it sticking out of it's lair and a nassarius snail is all over that area.. had the shrimp about a year and a half and it did well with the goby up until this point! I don't recall it getting any bigger the whole time I had it so maybe old age?
 
Yep just moved it's lair and out comes the goby and all that is left is the leg segment of the shrimp. Checked all other locations and nothing to be found :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new