Pistol Shrimp Cave

Ritchie G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. In the next 3 weeks to a month i am going to get a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby. My question is that I have the Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand and was wondering if the Shrimp will be able to makes caves in this sand? i have a 1' sand bed now but have more sand ordered to get it to 2-2.5". My son is really excited for the 2 to get here and i want to try to give them the best chance to be happy. Should i get some crushed up live rock for him to use in the cave or possibly make him something? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. In the next 3 weeks to a month i am going to get a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby. My question is that I have the Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand and was wondering if the Shrimp will be able to makes caves in this sand? i have a 1' sand bed now but have more sand ordered to get it to 2-2.5". My son is really excited for the 2 to get here and i want to try to give them the best chance to be happy. Should i get some crushed up live rock for him to use in the cave or possibly make him something? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. thanks
That sand will be just fine. I have the same in a nano for my pistol shrimp. They can push a lot of sand around, so be prepared for a construction zone for a week or so until they settle.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand will be just fine. I have the same in a nano for my pistol shrimp. They can push a lot of sand around, so be prepared for a construction zone for a week or so until they settle.
I also have the same and yes it'll be fine. But a week or so is an understatement, mine stays in one cave for several weeks and suddenly moves across the tank and doesn't care what is in the way

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pistol LOVES to use old snail shells to construct and arched opening to his entrance. I would get some extras in there if you don't have them already. He also likes to use my leather frag (much to my dismay) as his entry. He will drag it almost halfway across the tank. If you have any loose frags near the sand bed that you care about, I would get those glued down.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the same and yes it'll be fine. But a week or so is an understatement, mine stays in one cave for several weeks and suddenly moves across the tank and doesn't care what is in the way
Ha! You have a rogue. Mine set up shop with my Orange Spot Watchman and they haven’t changed caves since! Though he obsessively keeps his Tunnel clear down the the glass…

ashmonkey71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pistol LOVES to use old snail shells to construct and arched opening to his entrance. I would get some extras in there if you don't have them already. He also likes to use my leather frag (much to my dismay) as his entry. He will drag it almost halfway across the tank. If you have any loose frags near the sand bed that you care about, I would get those glued down.
Oh my goodness..yes! My pistol shrimps cave looks like a snail burial ground. He keeps killing all of the clean up crew.

Back