Pistol Shrimp for YWG & Aggression

ecas12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably overly cautious, but I am getting a YWG in the next few weeks and would like to pair it with a pistol shrimp in my 75g tank. Current inhabitants are one large skunk cleaner, a starry blenny, and two clownfish, along with some snails and crabs. I saw a post the other week that seemed like a horror story of a pistol shrimp attacking and killing someone's Midas Blenny. My starry blenny is my and my family's favorite fish and I would prefer that he not be on the chopping block. My original plan was to go with one of the larger pistol shrimp, most likely a tiger shrimp, but could I also go for a Randal's Pistol shrimp with the idea that since they're smaller they are less likely to deal a lethal blow? Is that even true to begin with, or am I just overthinking the whole pistol shrimp killing my fish situation?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't see a pistol shrimp killing a fish unless its starving to death or if the fish is weak and knocking on death's door. But still seems unlikely. My pistol shrimp retreats back into his cave with lightning quickness the moment he even senses a fish getting nearby.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably overly cautious, but I am getting a YWG in the next few weeks and would like to pair it with a pistol shrimp in my 75g tank. Current inhabitants are one large skunk cleaner, a starry blenny, and two clownfish, along with some snails and crabs. I saw a post the other week that seemed like a horror story of a pistol shrimp attacking and killing someone's Midas Blenny. My starry blenny is my and my family's favorite fish and I would prefer that he not be on the chopping block. My original plan was to go with one of the larger pistol shrimp, most likely a tiger shrimp, but could I also go for a Randal's Pistol shrimp with the idea that since they're smaller they are less likely to deal a lethal blow? Is that even true to begin with, or am I just overthinking the whole pistol shrimp killing my fish situation?
In the past I have kept a YWG with a pistol shrimp and it was in a significantly smaller tank. I don't think it would be an issue getting one. If you are worried about it you can get a smaller shrimp but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as your "pair" finds a den and can live there in peace I don't think you will have an issue in a tank that size. as long as everything is well fed i dont think you will have an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back