Pistol Shrimp going for a walk.

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two pistol shrimps in my tank and they haven't met eachother yet. I'm curious if a pistol shrimp leaves the burrow, do they find their way home or do they make a new burrow?

The one pistol (Tiger Pistol) has a bonded pair of Wheeler gobies as his pals. The other pistol (Red-Spotted) doesn't have a goby pair because supposedly they only bond with White-Cap gobies.

I'm not too worried about them meeting because they have burrows on opposite sides of the tank but if one leaves its burrow to go for a walk, would it go back to its own burrow?

27457D91-B8B7-4054-A3D5-4453C4D028CA.jpeg

DEF82BA7-5937-4422-ACFA-BF44D3A3C4CA.jpeg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spot is new to me.
Beautiful shrimp.

Unfortunately I despise pistol shrimp at this point. Our 'red' one grew to 2+" and killed a lot of $$ inverts and maybe a few small fish.

Happy day when we got rid of it.

If the sand is the right consistency they will be able to tunnel everywhere. Very cool if you have a mostly species tank.

Don't think I have ever read of 2 happy ones in the same tank.

Sorry about that.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I have seen films where they can be aggressive to shrimp. I have one small red stripped one I think? A.species something, not the tiger. I ordered it to get my shy watchman out more. Shipment got changed, I had acclimation set for my wife to do it and I have never seen this shrimp. I hear the snaps. If it is like mine, I would not worry too much about it going anywhere.

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spot is new to me.
Beautiful shrimp.
Unfortunately I despise pistol shrimp at this point. Our 'red' one grew to 2+" and killed a lot of $$ inverts and maybe a few small fish.
Happy day when we got rid of it.
If the sand is the right consistency they will be able to tunnel everywhere. Very cool if you have a mostly species tank.
Don't think I have ever read of 2 happy ones in the same tank.
Sorry about that.

Yeah I read a few posts on here that people do keep more than one pistol in their tanks so I said what the heck and bought it. I saw it on LiveAquaria DiversDen and just had to have it. The Tiger is about 2"+ and stays with its gobies but they only come out at night because during the day the 4 Tracys Damsels I have run the tank. I have a mix of sand (Hawaiian black, Indo-Pacific and Fiji pink) for my tank that is also 4" deep because from day 1 I wanted a pistol goby pair.

I have no idea. I have seen films where they can be aggressive to shrimp. I have one small red stripped one I think? A.species something, not the tiger. I ordered it to get my shy watchman out more. Shipment got changed, I had acclimation set for my wife to do it and I have never seen this shrimp. I hear the snaps. If it is like mine, I would not worry too much about it going anywhere.

I originally had the Red Candycane pistol that came with my 2 gobies but after a week it went missing. I'm pretty sure it got eaten by the damsels I have so after about 2 weeks I bought a large 2"+ Tiger Pistol. I knew the tiger could hold its own against the damsels and so far it has.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I read a few posts on here that people do keep more than one pistol in their tanks so I said what the heck and bought it. I saw it on LiveAquaria DiversDen and just had to have it. The Tiger is about 2"+ and stays with its gobies but they only come out at night because during the day the 4 Tracys Damsels I have run the tank. I have a mix of sand (Hawaiian black, Indo-Pacific and Fiji pink) for my tank that is also 4" deep because from day 1 I wanted a pistol goby pair.

I originally had the Red Candycane pistol that came with my 2 gobies but after a week it went missing. I'm pretty sure it got eaten by the damsels I have so after about 2 weeks I bought a large 2"+ Tiger Pistol. I knew the tiger could hold its own against the damsels and so far it has.

I wanted the tiger, but I was a little afraid it would kill a blenny after watching this crazy video of one snapping at a fish and stunning it. I looked for articles on multiple pistols and fish compatibility and came up really short on answers.

OP
OP
B

bambootikigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the tiger, but I was a little afraid it would kill a blenny after watching this crazy video of one snapping at a fish and stunning it. I looked for articles on multiple pistols and fish compatibility and came up really short on answers.

I sometimes hear my pistol snap but usually its when it's in the burrow. I'm guessing one of the gobies would startle it and it would snap. Both of my gobies don't seem effected by the few snaps it does so I'm pretty sure he's harmless unless the damsels decide to harass him one day.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back