Pistol Shrimp Lifespan

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not exactly sure how long I have had my Tiger Pistol Shrimp, at least a year now. When I got him he was much smaller and lately I noticed he is just as big as his Watchman Goby, which is now quite large. He has been eating very, very well as of lately I have been feeding him scallop. Around two days ago I noticed I have not seen him, the holes into the entrance are getting smaller but the Goby is still in there. Are their higher chances he is dead or molting? How long should I wait before I find a replacement if he passed away? Everything in the tank is extremely healthy and my parameters are spot on.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how big your tank is, he is more than likely digging around under your rockwork. I have two and will go weeks to months without seeing one or the other. My tiger created a whole maze throughout the crevices and caves I have in my rockwork especially towards the back where its hard to see him. My tank is 75g

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how big your tank is, he is more than likely digging around under your rockwork. I have two and will go weeks to months without seeing one or the other. My tiger created a whole maze throughout the crevices and caves I have in my rockwork especially towards the back where its hard to see him. My tank is 75g

Mine has a massive maze under the rockwork too but in the daytime he religiously stays on the front right of the tank. He is rather predictable and this is out of character for him.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, its concerning when they break from the usual routine. I'd wait 2-3 weeks to see if his construction projects disappear before worrying too much. Also keep your ears open. Sometimes the snapping is the only thing telling me he's still in the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back