placement of clams?

  • Thread starter Thread starter redhanded
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
86
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been gone over alot of times, but I just wanted to get fresher opinions.

I have a bunch of croceas, and Ive been keeping them on the sandbed. Infact, Ive had one for over 2 years, and its whole life it has been on the sandbed, and seemed to be doing fine. Should I continue to keep them on the sandbed (my subsrate is on the larger, courser side) or try and get them to attach to a rock/disc, and then keep them on the sand bed? I don't have much room on my rockwork to place them because of my sps. Thoughts?

Now onto to the squamosas and derasa's. Should these be placed on the rock work? I also have these on the sandbed and they seem to be doing fine also. Ive had large squamosa's and derasa's in the past, and they never attached nor tried to, to anytype of hard surface placed under them. Because of that, I would just place them on the sand, and they would stay there without trying to adjust or move. They would grow, extend fully, and because of that, I assume they are fine with where they are. now that I have a bunch of smaller squamosa and derasa's, I just wanna make sure they happy with where there are mounted.

THoughts?
 
If its not broke dont fix it. If their doing fine on the sand for 2yr+ i wouldnt touch em. just my .2
 
I agree with Reef keeper!

My clams are the same way, I have tried to place them up on the rocks and they never stay put.

In most home aquariums the Derasa's, Squamosa's and Giga's are all on the sandbed as they are the least light demanding of all the clams.
 
+1 on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Having said that though, just because Croceas are rock boring clams, doesn't necessarily mean they have to be amongst the rockwork (unless you don't have sufficient lighting- which it seems you do since you've had one for 2+ years on the sandbed). For all of my clams (I have 1 crocea, 4 maximas, and 1 squamosa) I just place a small flat (partially buried) rock underneath their foot for them to attach to, and all but one of them are placed on the sandbed with the rock underneath the substrate to make it look like they are right on top of the sand.

To each their own though... good luck with whatever you decide.

-Chad
 
Thanks for the input peeps. I placed small flat rocks under all of my croceas, and after a few hours of them huffing and puffing, and moving around, they have seem to attach to the rock in a position they like. One of them actually turned around 180 degrees. All of the mantles are fully open and there is no more fussing from them, so I assume they are ok. They are still on the sandbed, but atleast now, they have a secure footing.

When I checked on the squamosa's and derasa's, it didnt seem like they had any openings under their shell and there was no "foot". Regardless, I placed them on a flat rock on the sandbed, and it doesn't seem like they want to attach nor even care about the rock under them. They didnt fuss or hassle. They are also on the larger side, so like skinz, I think ill just leave them sitting on bare sand.
 
I actually shipped my large Squamosa out today and I noticed beforehand that it had completely closed off it's byssal opening. It was right at about 6"
 
Another way that i have found to place clams where u want them, is to place them on an sterilized oyster shell. It works wonders for the smaller clams like macimas, and the best thing is that the oyster shell acts like a cup and keeps them still easier which helps them to attach quicker. Then after they attach they are moblie and if u ever need to move one all u have to do is move the oyster shell :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new