placement problem? recommendations?

peppip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a virtually all softie and lps tank. i have several things growing all over the place. it is a very simple 29 gallon tank with quad t5 lighting, a skimmer, a powerhead and a filter. no sump or anything. i do a 5 gallon water change weekly. i buy things, and basically put them in the middle to start and then move them around to wherever i can find a empty spot for them. everything colors up pretty nicely, and i have growth and results. but sometimes, for no apparent reason, some things close up. case in point, i had some zoas for a few weeks glued in the center of the tank, not far from a yuma, near some palys and mushrooms and other zoas. probably 60 unique corals in my 29 gallon tank. suddenly my zoa closed up. it has a black sea squirt growing in the middle of them, so i gave it a week to see if it would start to open up. it did not, so i moved it to the bottom. the next day it was open a little, the next a little more and the day after that all the polyps were open and happy.

do you think a) it wanted less light. b) the yuma was bothering it (would often stretch within an inch of the zoa colony). c) black sea squirt bothered it. or d) ???

i dont have any problems with anything else, it just struck me odd so i want some advice. i pretty much through trial and error have figured out a general understanding of things, and deduct my own conclusions depending on my experiences.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many things it could have been but I would guess some toxins from the yuma were irritating it. Also, some zoas are sensitive to low alk in the tank so if you did a water change after you moved it, it could have increased the alk to an acceptable range for them. It could have also been the wrong amount of water flow or light. Are they small polyps or larger ones? The smaller polyps do a bit better in lower light and large polyps seem to like higher lighting. However, it does really vary between zoas. Trial and error is what a lot of people do I believe and you will eventually get to the point where you get corals and have a general sense of where they need to go. :)

OP
OP
peppip

peppip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhh yeah they are smaller polyps - see i didnt know the big ones like a lot of light and small ones lower light...i did have an alk swing because of accidental overdosing on chemicals (followed directions and overdosed go figure) but that is under control now. ty for feedback! still learning every day lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back