Placing tank on carpet question

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talk to waterbox they said to put 3/4 marine plywood under it.... Dose it have to be marine plywood
Just means it is more water resistant. Don't know about salt water. Do plywood with plexi Glass it is cheap

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You'll have no problems... other than if you spill stuff.....which will eventually happen.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what reason?
To save you money marine grade is very expensive. Regular construction grade plywood is cheap the plexi glass is plastic for easy clean up and to protect the plywood from rotting. Also liked the idea mentioned of the lip to contain any water spills. Can use quarter round trim tack it on, and silicone around edge. Save you from replacing carpet

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question yes it's safe to put the tank on your carpet I'm shocked people are actually suggesting it isn't haha. Bloody hell tanks would be breaking all over the place!!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question yes it's safe to put the tank on your carpet I'm shocked people are actually suggesting it isn't haha. Bloody hell tanks would be breaking all over the place!!
I am not worried about the tank just the landlord, and possible damage

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not worried about the tank just the landlord, and possible damage
Thats fair, I think he said he isn't to bothered about the indents though. So it's just potential water damage and I don't think the risk is high enough to warrant being concerned about it imo.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats fair, I think he said he isn't to bothered about the indents though. So it's just potential water damage and I don't think the risk is high enough to warrant being concerned about it imo.
Just got 3/4 inch plywood and some paint to seal it I think it would be easier to level with plywood under it VS carpet thanks for the help guys... I have renters insurance not worried about damage to the place.... Wored about my tank not being level

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
To save you money marine grade is very expensive. Regular construction grade plywood is cheap the plexi glass is plastic for easy clean up and to protect the plywood from rotting. Also liked the idea mentioned of the lip to contain any water spills. Can use quarter round trim tack it on, and silicone around edge. Save you from replacing carpet

That wasnt my question. I asked why place anything directly under the stand when placing a stand on a carpet. What's the purpose?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Shaking my head as well.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Regular plywood will rot if it gets wet right?
Regular plywood will take on water, expand and retain it for a period of time, unless thoroughly sealed.

My recommendation is not to put anything under the stand - there is no reason to.

Place the stand on the carpet and use plastic shims to level it. You're done.

You can place a strip of carpet remnant or an area rug in the front of your stand to protect the carpet against small spills or little drips.

RJenks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about stands that include leveling feet being used on carpet. Do you use the feet or remove them. Wouldn't then be more likely to damage the carpet.

Fishels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised at the posts. It has never been an issue for me to put a tank on carpet. When you move the tank eventually, there will be a dent in the carpet, but that comes out eventually.
Just curious are we talking dent that’s worse than regular furniture? In an apartment and if I put a tank I don’t wanna leave evidence lol

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious are we talking dent that’s worse than regular furniture? In an apartment and if I put a tank I don’t wanna leave evidence lol
There will be evidence, but it will come out. It's similar to other heavy furniture. I suppose it depends on tank size and how the stand is constructed. My old 90 gallon with the All-Glass 1x4 stand left some good dents in a 3/4" ring around the edge of where the stand was. But they do come out.

If you have to do a walk through the day you move out and you're worried about it, you could move the tank beforehand. Of course, I wouldn't tell you to hide a big tank from your landlord.

Fishels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be evidence, but it will come out. It's similar to other heavy furniture. I suppose it depends on tank size and how the stand is constructed. My old 90 gallon with the All-Glass 1x4 stand left some good dents in a 3/4" ring around the edge of where the stand was. But they do come out.

If you have to do a walk through the day you move out and you're worried about it, you could move the tank beforehand. Of course, I wouldn't tell you to hide a big tank from your landlord.
I was thinking of maybe hiding a 30-40 from LL

I can have up to 6 10 gallon tanks if I want here but no bigger tank. I’m just done altogether with the constant micro managing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back