Placing tank on carpet question

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup guys I have a waterbox 130.4 coming... I want to place it in the basement but theres carpet over the concrete floor... Is it safe to put the tank on the carpet thanks

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the option to add several feet to the stand? Adjustable may help with leveling the stand before you put the tank on it, but with the carpet having some give it may not stay level. If they make any you can adjust under some load, that may be something to look into. Just some thoughts. Anywhere you put feet though it will leave pretty nasty indents.

Is the carpet more plush or like a short/Berber style? If it's really short you may be okay. Still going to leave an imprint on any carpet though.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that mine was a plush carpet, if it was like the thin carpet, almost like carpet tile carpet I would be ok with that.

jayoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that mine was a plush carpet, if it was like the thin carpet, almost like carpet tile carpet I would be ok with that.
Sup guys I have a waterbox 130.4 coming... I want to place it in the basement but theres carpet over the concrete floor... Is it safe to put the tank on the carpet thanks
Try a rubber workout matts. The will protect the carpet from moisture if you get a large enough one. I have one under my 180 gallon in my carpeted basement. Just make sure to have it straight under the tank because once you fill that tank its not going anywhere. it will leave an impression on the carpet but its would be dry and equivalent to large furniture. Give yourself about 12" around the whole tank if you can. I won't say you won't ever get the carpet wet but it greatly reduces it. Use the adjustable feet to level the tank.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the option to add several feet to the stand? Adjustable may help with leveling the stand before you put the tank on it, but with the carpet having some give it may not stay level. If they make any you can adjust under some load, that may be something to look into. Just some thoughts. Anywhere you put feet though it will leave pretty nasty indents.

Is the carpet more plush or like a short/Berber style? If it's really short you may be okay. Still going to leave an imprint on any carpet though.
It's a thin indoor outdoor carpet

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a thin indoor outdoor carpet
Oh then you're fine. If there's no actual padding under the carpet then I wouldn't worry about it at all. I like the idea of putting a yoga mat under it to keep moisture off the carpet, but you could do that with anything really.

Given the type of carpet, I think you're good.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, never a problem
I've not had a problem myself either, however the potential for one is there. Worth calling it out just to be aware IMO. Maybe that's the engineer in me, just rather bring it up then have be an unforeseen issue down the road.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a piece of plexi glass or plywood under it

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once (in similar situation) built a plywood with edges/lips and set large ceramic tiles 4-5 inches bigger than the stand. Had the lips come up 1/3rd of and inch higher than the tiles. and water proofed it. Enough to distribute the weight on the carpet and something to catch spills, but not a flood.
the carpet was not shag, so it did not flatten it too much when I moved it

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so, all my tanks are on carpet. lol. YOLO. (I own furniture and flooring stores....so if I fudge the carpet my wife won't punish me too bad)

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a platform for my Waterbox (4820 Peninsula) so I could put it in my carpeted apartment. Made it 55x48" of 2 layers of 3/4" plywood (glued together), 1/4" molding around the edges, and covered by a sheet of vinyl flooring to hold any drips or spills. Probably overbuilt but rather that than trying to re-level a full aquarium. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back