you decide.

IMG_5173.jpg

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody told me RPE doesn't have the distinct lines coming from the center but RRPE does. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those in the OP's photo are what I thought were "true" RPE and these are what I thought were just RPE's

RPE1.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Dave, thank you that is correct. Both the original two pictures are TRPE, and what you posted is just RPE. For what its worth, TRPE will lose the bluish circles if given incorrect lighting, however, I've never seen RPE develope the blue circles.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to unclear the confusion:squigglemouth:...but I think they're both actually the same and the changes maybe due to lighting mainly or tank conditions... I've seen them change from "TRPE to RPE" in my tank. I've noticed when freshly collected most will look like the TRPE but eventually in captive conditions they will end up looking like RPE maybe that's why the TRPE is less commonly seen. here's some pics that show what I mean, btw all polyps are from the same mother colony, some have been replugged. I've even noticed the same thing with GPE!
DSC01429.jpg

DSC01448%20%281%29.jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

some time later....months
IMG_1729.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

not all were taken with the same camera, you can tell, but anyways just thought I'd share my 2 cents on it....

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sick sick PE's brutha! nice pics! my RPES and TRPES came off different colonies tho. and in my tank each has held it's color, pattern and color pop. i think everyone's tank is different also.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to unclear the confusion:squigglemouth:...but I think they're both actually the same and the changes maybe due to lighting mainly or tank conditions... I've seen them change from "TRPE to RPE" in my tank. I've noticed when freshly collected most will look like the TRPE but eventually in captive conditions they will end up looking like RPE maybe that's why the TRPE is less commonly seen. here's some pics that show what I mean, btw all polyps are from the same mother colony, some have been replugged. I've even noticed the same thing with GPE!
not all were taken with the same camera, you can tell, but anyways just thought I'd share my 2 cents on it....

Good observation PR. I do agree that there are polyps of TRPE that are probably being sold/traded as RPE. However I do think that there are polyps that are simply RPE. To take that a step further, I personally think that some of the polyps that are traded/sold as OPE are simply RPE that has been over exposed with light. In my experience with PEs, I have found that lighting is a major factor with these polyps. Flow is also extremely important.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good observation PR. I do agree that there are polyps of TRPE that are probably being sold/traded as RPE. However I do think that there are polyps that are simply RPE. To take that a step further, I personally think that some of the polyps that are traded/sold as OPE are simply RPE that has been over exposed with light. In my experience with PEs, I have found that lighting is a major factor with these polyps. Flow is also extremely important.

Flow is the key to PE success IMO. The more random flow I give mine the better they seem to do. Mine seem to like a LOT of water movement around the polyps. Except for the PPE. I still haven't figured them out......But I don't think I'm alone on this one either.....

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back