Planet vs Red Sea vs Cade

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to upgrade from Red Sea XL 425 to something bigger. No complaints on RS at all. Unfortunately i can’t decide which company to pick now.... Things what i like with Planet and Cade: external box, control panel, better dimensions.... Any help people?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m looking to upgrade from Red Sea XL 425 to something bigger. No complaints on RS at all. Unfortunately i can’t decide which company to pick now.... Things what i like with Planet and Cade: external box, control panel, better dimensions.... Any help people?
Ive been nothing but impressed with Planet, all that ive seen. Also take a look at Glass cages as i owned one and he is a supporter with R2R

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally bias but I've had my Cade up n running since January 1 2021, not very long, but it's been perfect so far and can't see any problems in the future. The ato is awesome and plenty of sump room and I think mostly the stands design and materials make it a lifetime stand. Good luck n no matter what it'll be a great journey.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I definitely want 5 feet tank and wider. Brand doesn’t really matter.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what ever fits your dimension and budget. At that level their all basically the same thing.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my 750 reefer for almost 4 years. Everyone knows the RS topoff is garbage so that has to go. My only other complaint is the sump area being sealed for zero airflow which has caused my hinges to rust out completely.

recreative

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a look at the bigger IM tanks as well . . . internal or external overflows, thick glass, eurobraced, aluminum stand. Loving my 200int!

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 cades. The 1500 and 1800. Very impressed with both. IM makes great tanks as well. I started with a Nuvo 40. I went with cades on the upgrades entirely because of the amazing stands and ato is great to never have to worry about pump failure.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was buying right now it would be between Cade and Waterbox.

OP
OP
jp_75

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting... Nobody recommends RS?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned 2 planet tanks and currently own an 8’ planet. Super happy with them but I like to buy aftermarket sumps and my own plumbing so that’s why I like them over others. I will not buy anything that restricts you to one return pump ever

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cade 1800. Nice tank and the stand is top notch. If you want back wall stuff the ATO may be an issue for you. If the back wall is just that then the float and gravity feed of the ATO makes it a once every other week thing for me. Quiet overflow and very thoughtful design all around. I do wish it had interior lighting in the sump as that can be dark but i just ran some small LED's and a switch so problem solved. I don''t use the side access doors due to location but that is a nice touch as well.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also going back and forth on a new tank. I was all set for the Waterbox 320 but learned today there isn't even a projected backorder date! So checking out the Cade 2100 and Rs Reefer S-1000.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Marineland Corner Flo 300G and it's been fine for 6 years. I really like that it works naturally with two return pumps, the drains work great and are quiet, and I really like being able to see through the back of the tank (I have a fish room, so I take down the felt background I use so I can see into the tank while I work in there). The price was right and I also really wanted to do my own sump so that was a plus too. On the negative side, the seams are not "armored" and easily get torn/chipped anytime the cleaning magnet gets close. I HATE that! Glass quality isn't that great either. And if you're looking for a stand too, the Marineland stands are very sturdy and definitely fit the tanks well, but they are ugly as sin.
If my current tank ever has an "accident" and needs replacing, I'd definitely go for a Reef Savvy tank (https://www.reefsavvy.com/). They are works of art.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back