Planning for a power outage

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brah02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brah02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2025
Messages
408
Reaction score
203
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My office building is going to be shutting off power while they install solar on the building next week. It sounds like it'll be a full day at least. What can I do to make sure everything stays safe?
 
Are you able to use a portable generator? That is one thing you can do. Also, battery-powered airstones, I would highly recommend to keep oxygen circulating in the tank.
 
Are you able to use a portable generator? That is one thing you can do. Also, battery-powered airstones, I would highly recommend to keep oxygen circulating in the tank.
I am trying to figure out if I can get a portable generator in here. I do plan to get airstones. I have an SR-80 80 gallon tank, should I get like 3 or 4 airstones? It is an AIO, do I just put the air in the display portion or should I put one in the sump too?
 
Just to calm you down- my reef tank and all of its inhabitants survived NY 2003 power outage which last few days and it was in the middle of of summer, so even without any preparations you should be fine for 12 h.
 
Just to calm you down- my reef tank and all of its inhabitants survived NY 2003 power outage which last few days and it was in the middle of of summer, so even without any preparations you should be fine for 12 h.
Thats good to know! I am asking around for a portable generator, but I do plan to at least add some battery airstones. The solar company said for sure a full day, but if they don't finish it might be off until the following day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new