Plastic #5 (Polypropylene) -- Safe for extended reef tank use?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mike550
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2019
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
2,328
Location
Chicago
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I need to do a hack in my sump, where I want to make a plastic "gasket" to help create a better seal between the round holes in my sump for filter socks, and a Klir-7 assembly. Because of the way my sump is built, I can't simply drop the Klir into the sump with an adapter ring. But I can solve my problem by creating a gasket (similar to the Klir sock adapters).

My question is whether it's safe to leave Polypropylene #5 in my sump for an extended length of time. Truth be known, the plastic is from the lid of an empty salt bucket. I've searched the forums and while the plastic seems to be safe, I'm not clear if it's safe for "long term" use.

Thanks in advance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new