Plastic bag thickness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kbra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,417
Reaction score
3
Location
San Luis Obispo, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using plastic bags to ship corals vs the pee cups I already use. Especially for larger orders. I'm curious though what mil you guys use or anyone the works at the lfs. Obviously you want a semi thick bag for srength but I think too thick and it a have a hard time making a good seal.
 
I'm considering using plastic bags to ship corals vs the pee cups I already use. Especially for larger orders. I'm curious though what mil you guys use or anyone the works at the lfs. Obviously you want a semi thick bag for srength but I think too thick and it a have a hard time making a good seal.

We use 2mm bags, but we don't ship so we don't need anything thick. When I ship corals, I actually use glad bags since they seem sturdier.

Edited post. made a mistake on bag mm. Just looked at the box.
 
Last edited:
Definitely 3mm or thicker. Also consider getting an impulse heat sealer. By far more reliable than zip bags or even tied ones.
 
I was thinking maybe the metal crimps like the wholesalers use.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

You have to double or triple bag with those. For larger bags it makes sense, but for smaller bags a heat sealer is a little slice of magic. I've shipped to over a hundred people this way and have only had maybe one or two leaks.
 
You have to double or triple bag with those. For larger bags it makes sense, but for smaller bags a heat sealer is a little slice of magic. I've shipped to over a hundred people this way and have only had maybe one or two leaks.

+1

The heat sealers are great gizmos when it comes to shipping corals. I know Gary ships this way as well and after about 45 different corals I have yet to have a bag leak.
 
The heat sealer option will cost you a little bit up front, but its worth it for the piece of mind.
 
Agreed sixline it's getting kind of childish me and the other team members have had nothing but complaints and spending the day cleaning up threads from a few members and reported posts.... Enough is enough you guys have 26 min left let's see if we can go that long with out another reported post.....:sad:
 
people sometimes have the same opinions over things! also people don't want a single response over a question! if there are multiple equal answers, this helps the OP find a good answer. what are you asking the mods to do here?? xmetal was doing the same thing as you were, answering a question. if the OP needed only your response, maybe he would have sent you a PM.

You're absolutely right.
 
Bag Thickness for shipping coral

Hey guys. I have only recently gotten involved in the wonderful world of aquariums - love it! Anyway, I own a packaging company and one of the main things we sell is poly bags (not regularly to the aquarium community but I thought I might be able to give my 2 cents with some level of intelligence). Poly bag thicknesses as well as proper bag sizing will be equally important if you are trying to ship coral. Because of the potential for tearing the bag with certain types of coral I would suggest at least a 3 mil bag (1.5 mil to 3 mil may work). The 3 mil bag gives you that little extra sturdiness and puncture resistance that will not be nearly as prevalent when you are getting down closer to the 1.0 mil thickness. For the quantity of bags you get in a case - if you are serious about it - you should definitely try to "lean" toward a little thicker bag. creativepackagingandsupply.com is our website we have warehousing set up for poly bags in 6 different warehouse strategically located throughout the US and our pricing/quality is excellent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new