Plastic Tang: Fake Fish to Trick Agressive Fish

Have you ever used a fake fish decoy to trick aggressive fish or acclimate new fish?

• YES I have

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • NO but I would try it

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • NO don't think it would work

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran across a thread and thought it could make a great discussion! FAKE FISH or Tang Decoys as BioTek Marine calls them are pretty interesting!

BioTek Marine Acclimation Decoys assist in introducing new fish into a tank by providing a target for aggression by existing fish. The buoyant decoy uses the flow in your tank to create movement, which combined with the realistic look of the decoy distracts fish from new tankmates and provides a safe target for aggressive behavior. Because the decoys don’t respond to the aggressive behavior, fish often remain focused on the decoy and dissipate their aggression.

Each decoy includes 24 in. of nylon monofilament line which can be attached to a piece of dry rock or other non-buoyant object. We suggest placing 2-3 decoys in an open area of low flow where fish are regularly fed.

Have you ever used a fake fish decoy to trick aggressive fish or acclimate new fish? Would you if not?
1661355366467.png

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know these existed....but I'd use them if I had a problem. When I had a yellow tang chasing my long nose butterfly, I hung a mirror on the side of the tank, with the intent that the yellow tang would redirect his aggression to the mirrored tang. What happened was that the butterfly found the mirror, and every time it would pass, he'd show his dorsal spikes. It was amusing. Tang could care less for the mirror. So YES, I'd try using the fake fish if I still had the problem

1663156052779.png

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the mirror trick on my powder brown when one day he decided to hate everything in the tank after 3 months . It worked but I got distracted and left it hanging for like 4 hours which wasn't a good idea . He literally scratched and banged his whole face up trying to fight himself . However after I took it down he healed up and never chased another fish again

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back