Plate Coral Keeps Moving?

Ryebreadiest

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
495
Reaction score
370
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this big fluffy plate for a few weeks, and twice now it’s moved from a flat open spot to its edge up onto a rock with a few Zoa frags on it. I move it back down, it sulks for a day and then I wake up and it’s back up with its edge lifted onto the rock and happy as a clam. It’s fully off the sand bed with just its edged touching.

Been like this for a week now. Should I just…leave it?

IMG_1023.jpeg
 
Are you sure it's not be blown there or moved by an urchin or large snail? Mine would move around a little on the sand but I'm not sure they even have the ability to climb onto a rock. Mine would move by inflating amd deflating. I agree it does look like it has some tissue recession.
 
Are you sure it's not be blown there or moved by an urchin or large snail? Mine would move around a little on the sand but I'm not sure they even have the ability to climb onto a rock. Mine would move by inflating amd deflating. I agree it does look like it has some tissue recession.
being blown around when inflated is how plates move; they can't actually move around on their own

Take a look at the underside; if there's recession there then I would recommend moving it.
 
I ended up moving it to the darkest corner of the tank and it seems happy now. Maybe it was just too much light. Hasn’t moved in over a week. Sorry about the picture quality (can’t find my orange filter) but tissue seems ok. It might have just been flow plus light.

In retrospect I should have know. Last time I had one of these it was in full shadow basically and very happy for several years.
IMG_1074.jpeg
 
being blown around when inflated is how plates move; they can't actually move around on their own

Take a look at the underside; if there's recession there then I would recommend moving it.
Maybe most do but I watched mine move. They would go into a dome like shape and then flatten out. As they flattened out they would gradually move. It was a very slow process and they didn't move far. Mine never blew around the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new