Plate coral losing tissue

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Recently a had a minor alk swing (8.5 - 10 over the course of several days) then back down. Around that time I noticed this plate coral was losing tissue around some of the edges. Nothing else changed around that time and no other corals were affected. The tissue loss progressed so I moved it out of the flow to a lower flow spot. It continued to deteriorate. Someone suggested to me that less light might help so I moved it to a shaded spot - the spot I put it in when I first bought it. The tissue loss seems to have slowed - maybe stopped, it is hard to tell. It is hard to see in this picture but the tissue loss covers probably nearly 20% of the coral.

I don't know if this is related, but in the week or so prior to this I noticed it inflating hugely, for no reason that I could ascertain. It did that 2-3 times.

In the meantime, it seems to have persistent detritus accumulated in the mouth area that I can't blow away with a turkey baster, nor can I blow away all of the sand stuck on the areas where the tissue is gone. I haven't tried all that hard because I'm not even sure if I should. I tried feeding it 2 nights ago, hard to say if it ate.

Thoughts?

20170625_150505 1.jpg

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the sand. Every plate that I've had that got sand on it has rtn'd so fast I couldn't save it. I now keep all my plates off the sand bed. Don't toss it tho plates are known to grow babies from their dead skeletons in a last ditch effort to survive.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something was irritating it before. Try to get the detritus off. Buildup tends to be bad for the coral.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the sand. Every plate that I've had that got sand on it has rtn'd so fast I couldn't save it. I now keep all my plates off the sand bed. Don't toss it tho plates are known to grow babies from their dead skeletons in a last ditch effort to survive.

What do you put them on? Flat rock?

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one die on me before and was told they like a stable alk ....true or not I don't know but that's what I was told

IMG_20161119_135715.jpg

IMG_20161119_140028.jpg

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inflating could have been it trying to move itself. Definitely don't toss it, and you'd be surprised the shape mine had been in and recovered. Give it some timd

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blew off as much detritus as I could and got it out of the sand. Boy does it look awful. Fingers crossed.
603e67f627ef03f5e5cc3c59b35b9e87.jpg

ETA: sorry for the sideways pic.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back