Platinum ring?

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a stupid question. But some quick googling and I could not find much, and especially nothing with some definitive science in it.

I know saltwater is corrosive to most metals. But I’m curious. Just got married today and am doing some maintenance before bed. Will my platinum ring get damaged easily if it gets salt water on it? I mean assuming I’m not spending an inordinate amount of time with my hands in the tank. Just removing pumps, mounting frags and whatnot. I won’t be severely or noticeably damaging the metal or leeching it into the tank will I?

Do all of your married folks take your ring off when working in the hobby?

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of note is that platinum is highly resistant to corrosion and has low reactivity. Most commercial rings are 95% platinum and 5% some other heavy metal. I wouldn't want those in my tank, but they're also not going to be attacked nearly as aggressively as say electrical connections. I would honestly just get a pair of elbow length gloves. You can find a decent pair for 15-20 bucks. This way toxins or metals on your skin are less likely to get into the tank. Requirement? No, but you eliminate a lot of unneeded risk.

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine I have a platinum ring as well and no issues with the ring or the tank and I never take it off.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Material Composition Density,  (lb/in3 )
Platinum 99.85% Pt 0.775
Elastic Modulus, E (psi) Yield Strength, y (ksi) Tensile Strength, u (ksi)
21 x 106 - 25 x 106 27 (50% Cold Worked) 28 - 30 (50% Cold Worked)
Potential in Seawater, ref. S.C.E. (V)
Corrosion Types Suffered Uses +0.20 to +0.35
Completely resistant to marine corrosion. Impressed current anodes and electrical contacts.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long ago, and they probably still do , we used platinum in cyanide salt solutuon for plating gold and silver onto integrated circuits.
All nuts and bolts were titainium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley should I be worried about my titanium ring?

from it:

"Titanium resists corrosion by seawater to temperatures as high as 500°F (260°C). Titanium tubing, exposed for 16 years to polluted seawater in a surface condenser, was slightly discolored but showed no evidence of corrosion. Titanium has provided over thirty years of trouble-free seawater service for the chemical, oil refining and desalination industries.

Exposure of titanium for many years to depths of over a mile below the ocean surface has not produced any measurable corrosion. Pitting and crevice corrosion are totally absent, even if marine deposits form. The presence of sulfides in seawater does not affect the resistance of titanium to corrosion. Exposure of titanium to marine atmospheres or splash or tide zone does not cause corrosion."

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

from it:

"Titanium resists corrosion by seawater to temperatures as high as 500°F (260°C). Titanium tubing, exposed for 16 years to polluted seawater in a surface condenser, was slightly discolored but showed no evidence of corrosion. Titanium has provided over thirty years of trouble-free seawater service for the chemical, oil refining and desalination industries.

Exposure of titanium for many years to depths of over a mile below the ocean surface has not produced any measurable corrosion. Pitting and crevice corrosion are totally absent, even if marine deposits form. The presence of sulfides in seawater does not affect the resistance of titanium to corrosion. Exposure of titanium to marine atmospheres or splash or tide zone does not cause corrosion."
Thank you! I had never thought to worry about it and I guess I don't have to

OP
OP
SecondCityCorals

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Now I don’t have to take it off. I am always losing things wherever I set them down so this makes my life easier.

Back