Playboy bunny zoa losing color

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to zoas but not to reefing, and I have a recently set up zoa nano. my parameters are as follows;

No3: 1.0
po4: .13
sg: 1.025
temp: 79.0
alk: 8.3
ca: 390

i dose brightwell aminos every three days or so but do not feed right now because I have no fish in the tank and I’m worried that amphipods will explode if I feed with no predators around.

I’m running chemipure blue and filter floss in my aio back chamber. No skimmer.

The tank was set up with relatively established live rock from my LFS. So far there are only zoanthids a small cleanup crew, and what seems to be an unreasonable amount of pods.

for lighting I’m using an ai prime hd 16 set with all blue channels set to 40% and all other channels set to 20%. This gives me a par of 100-140 throughout the tank.

my bunnies wer an amazing pink color for 2.5 weeks after adding, but they are turning brown! Polyps are large with very short stalk. The only real change I have made is bumping the lights from 30% to 40%.

do you think I induced the color shift by hitting them with too much light? Is this strain particularly known for needing low light? The queen Midas next to to them look spot on.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB667FC2-1471-41B5-860F-43BB308ADE3E.jpeg

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to zoas but not to reefing, and I have a recently set up zoa nano. my parameters are as follows;

No3: 1.0
po4: .13
sg: 1.025
temp: 79.0
alk: 8.3
ca: 390

i dose brightwell aminos every three days or so but do not feed right now because I have no fish in the tank and I’m worried that amphipods will explode if I feed with no predators around.

I’m running chemipure blue and filter floss in my aio back chamber. No skimmer.

The tank was set up with relatively established live rock from my LFS. So far there are only zoanthids a small cleanup crew, and what seems to be an unreasonable amount of pods.

for lighting I’m using an ai prime hd 16 set with all blue channels set to 40% and all other channels set to 20%. This gives me a par of 100-140 throughout the tank.

my bunnies wer an amazing pink color for 2.5 weeks after adding, but they are turning brown! Polyps are large with very short stalk. The only real change I have made is bumping the lights from 30% to 40%.

do you think I induced the color shift by hitting them with too much light? Is this strain particularly known for needing low light? The queen Midas next to to them look spot on.
Are you dosing the coral aminos or restor?

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral aminos
Coral aminos are more for the sps dominated tanks and it’s strictly free form aminos which is easier for sps corals to consume and breakdown. Restor is more for lps and softies as it’s a mixture of free form and complex aminos. Complex aminos are a little heavier and are better for your zoas and or lps if you have them.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral aminos are more for the sps dominated tanks and it’s strictly free form aminos which is easier for sps corals to consume and breakdown. Restor is more for lps and softies as it’s a mixture of free form and complex aminos. Complex aminos are a little heavier and are better for your zoas and or lps if you have them.
Interesting. I had no idea. Are the complex in the sense that they are actually short AA polymers (short peptides) or something else? If peptides, do they have to be refrigerated to keep them from breaking down? Do corals use them directly or metabolize them to amino acid monomers and then use them?

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I had no idea. Are the complex in the sense that they are actually short AA polymers (short peptides) or something else? If peptides, do they have to be refrigerated to keep them from breaking down? Do corals use them directly or metabolize them to amino acid monomers and then use them?
So with brightwell products the way they preserve stuff does not have to be refrigerated. Also they are key lated so it’s all time release that’s why you does every 3 days. I myself use brightwell additives and have done a lot of research on the products and the simple facts that none have to be refrigerated is what sold me. Being able to put them on a doser without spoiling is a huge bonus.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with brightwell products the way they preserve stuff does not have to be refrigerated. Also they are key lated so it’s all time release that’s why you does every 3 days. I myself use brightwell additives and have done a lot of research on the products and the simple facts that none have to be refrigerated is what sold me. Being able to put them on a doser without spoiling is a huge bonus.
the no refrigeration is a big plus. I haven't heard about the amino acid monomer vs "complex" thing before I will have to dig in a little further. Have you tried both and observed a difference?

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the no refrigeration is a big plus. I haven't heard about the amino acid monomer vs "complex" thing before I will have to dig in a little further. Have you tried both and observed a difference?
On my 40 gallon I mainly dose the Restor and once a week I only do like 7 drops of the coral aminos just for a little extra for the 3 sps I have in my tank. And I only do that because I already had it before I figured out about Restor. Reef Dudes did an interview with the Brightwell aquatics guy asking about the difference between the two without going into all the scientific stuff that’s in it. But basically the Restor is perfect with mixed reefs due to having both free form and complex and regular aminos for the sps dominated. Sps have a harder time breaking down the complex aminos whereas the free form they can absorb easier. I’m not a scientist or anything lol just the general knowledge I have on the products. Also goes into if you don’t do a lot of water changes the Replenish will replace the minor trace elements as well and best used with a 2 part, kalk, or calcium reactor.
Like I said I’m no scientist or professional but I have noticed better coloring in my zoas, lps, and sps using Restor.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you using? If the polyps are reaching upward, it could be that the lights is not as intense and that’s why they are showing more brown to get more energy from photosynthesis

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you using? If the polyps are reaching upward, it could be that the lights is not as intense and that’s why they are showing more brown to get more energy from photosynthesis
It's an ai prime hd and they are at about 130 par. They are flat against the rocks. Just some polyps are shifting brown.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an ai prime hd and they are at about 130 par. They are flat against the rocks. Just some polyps are shifting brown.
Every tank and variety of zoa is different so YMMV, but my zoas tend to do best under 100 PAR. Usually around 80 is what I shoot for. I'm also running an AI Prime 16HD, but this has been the case with previous lights as well. At higher levels of the tank, some of my zoas have turned duller shades of their original colors.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank and variety of zoa is different so YMMV, but my zoas tend to do best under 100 PAR. Usually around 80 is what I shoot for. I'm also running an AI Prime 16HD, but this has been the case with previous lights as well. At higher levels of the tank, some of my zoas have turned duller shades of their original colors.
I've gotten super conflicting advice on par. A bunch of people with very fancy collections have insisted I need to get up to 175ish to make colors pop. On the other hand I have seen a lot of people with fantastic tanks that are more in the 75-100 par range. It's frustrating to have the ability to measure and control, but to not know where to set things.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure your par personally? With what method?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try a more di feeding with something like reef roids or reef chilli. Zoas will eat all of those food

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try a more di feeding with something like reef roids or reef chilli. Zoas will eat all of those food
As others have noted, I have some that REALLY seem to react to food as I target feed them (ha I saw a rainbow incinerator literally eat a mysis yesterday!) And others (including these) that just seem to not move when fed. Are they eating even if they don't visibly move?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried shutting off flow? I found a lot of the bigger polyps will show a feeding response

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried shutting off flow? I found a lot of the bigger polyps will show a feeding response
I do! And I totally agree, it seems like most of the bigger ones show a feeding response... But these seem too cool for school.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back