Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I own a 54 gallon corner reef, with a few fish:
1 neon dottyback
2 firefish
2 Clown ocellaris (common)
1 Coral Beauty angel

Recently, I decided to add a Falco Hawfish (2 inch). I acclimated for 3 days in a box.
Yesterday I released him in the tank, and everything seemed fine (although I took the time to cover every inch of the top of the aquarium.

Today, I realized that he becomes very aggressive during feeding time. Chasing the dottyback and firefish, which may end in disaster for these jumpers.

My reading warned me about inverts and some low-level aggression (similar to the dottyback), but this may end up bad. Should I just trade him in or will this be temporary? What is your experience with this fish?

Thanks.

20200611_172018.jpg

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with a Falco. the first few days he was great! Active, fun to watch. Then he turned into a bully. took me a looong time to catch him, too.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.... just got him!

Ok, so yes, it was quite the struggle........ 4 frags got hit and had to be reglued. I had to move two rocks, which I didn't want to do (center piece)....

They are so SMART.... I would have caught all the other fish before him. He was looking from afar, waiting for my move...

But got him! He is back in his cell waiting to contact LFS for trade in or maybe a fellow hobbyist near me. Will see.

Part of the experience, as they say!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose and scarlet hawks are much more mellow than the falcos and I personally wouldn't add them with timid fish like firefish. These hawks do great with mildly aggressive fish like the more peaceful damsels. I think returning it is the best choice.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone!

So I managed to find a (very) nice home for him from a fellow reefer. In the same time I traded for two awesome frags: 1 Ricordea Yuma Superman and 1 nice colony of Papaya clovers. But I think the greatest find was to find a new trustworthy contact for future trades.

This hobby is cool or what?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back