Falco Hawkfish compatibility

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I’m rather new to reef keeping, and initially I stocked my tank with three damsels at the recommendation of my LFS, which I rehomed shortly after since I wasn’t aware how big and aggressive they’d become. To replace them I got two banggai cardinals and a falco’s hawkfish; I didn’t learn from my mistake the first time trusting the advice of the LFS over doing my own research, and so didn’t realize that the hawkfish was semi-agressive. I had done research about other hawkfish varieties and trusted the LFS when they said it would be a peaceful fish, but just a couple days ago I added a silver belly wrasse and it has spent all its time hiding in the sand bed. When I have seen it venture out, it gets chased around by the hawkfish any time it comes near the rock work until it eventually ends up back in the sand bed. Is the wrasse going to be ok? If I want to achieve my goal of a peaceful community tank, should I think about rehoming the hawkfish as well? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I’m getting worried since I’m not exactly sure what the wrasse is eating while it’s been hiding.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello all,

So I’m rather new to reef keeping, and initially I stocked my tank with three damsels at the recommendation of my LFS, which I rehomed shortly after since I wasn’t aware how big and aggressive they’d become. To replace them I got two banggai cardinals and a falco’s hawkfish; I didn’t learn from my mistake the first time trusting the advice of the LFS over doing my own research, and so didn’t realize that the hawkfish was semi-agressive. I had done research about other hawkfish varieties and trusted the LFS when they said it would be a peaceful fish, but just a couple days ago I added a silver belly wrasse and it has spent all its time hiding in the sand bed. When I have seen it venture out, it gets chased around by the hawkfish any time it comes near the rock work until it eventually ends up back in the sand bed. Is the wrasse going to be ok? If I want to achieve my goal of a peaceful community tank, should I think about rehoming the hawkfish as well? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I’m getting worried since I’m not exactly sure what the wrasse is eating while it’s been hiding.
What size tank do you have?
My Falco is a real jerk and was moved into my predator tank once I started to introduce more wrasse.

@SaltyT or @i cant think or the other #wrassenerds can give you more insight as to your wrasse, as I've not owned a halichoeres leucoxanthus before. I don't know how 'tough' they are in comparison to others.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

They can be jerks and also antagonize certain fish especially gobies and anthias fish and will eat any ornamental shrimp

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?
My Falco is a real jerk and was moved into my predator tank once I started to introduce more wrasse.

@SaltyT or @i cant think or the other #wrassenerds can give you more insight as to your wrasse, as I've not owned a halichoeres leucoxanthus before. I don't know how 'tough' they are in comparison to others.
I have a 60 gallon cube. This is so not what I wanted to hear after rehoming the damsels already lol, but I guess its par for the course of being new to reefing. Any recommendations for docile, hardy fish?

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be jerks and also antagonize certain fish especially gobies and anthias fish and will eat any ornamental shrimp
Learned this the hard way, got sold a cleaner shrimp at the same time, came home after work the next day to found the hawkfish sitting next to a half eaten shrimp. Felt real bad for the shrimp, and frustrated that the LFS sold me them together. Looks like rehoming the hawkfish is the move, I want a peaceful tank full of friendly fish! As much as that’s possible anyhow

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

The Hawkfish will need to be rehomed unfortunately, i had a similar Hawkfish (Lyretail Hawk) that behaved almost identically to this. He first went for a male radiant and made him hide in the sand - eventually he unfortunately died. Then he went for my diamond tail flasher (that was the fish where I saw who it was that killed the radiant).

The wrasse has been feeding on any microfauna it can find - she likely comes out at night when the Hawkfish is sleeping.
If you remove the hawk in time, the wrasse will be alright. Considering it’s only been happening for the last couple days, you will be alright. Leucoxanthus is much hardier under stress than an iridis so will likely last slightly longer than mine did.

I have a 60 gallon cube. This is so not what I wanted to hear after rehoming the damsels already lol, but I guess it’s par for the course of being new to reefing. Any recommendations for docile, hardy fish?
Docile fish that would suit your tank are mainly gobies, which you can absolutely mix, don’t listen to others who think you can’t mix different species of gobies. I have about 7 different gobies in my nano alone (3’x16”x1’). They each range in hardiness from my griessingeri which was hard to know if he was settled to my yasha goby who just sits and watches everyone.
You could also add a smaller species of wrasse such as the possums or pink streaks. These will get on with the leucoxanthus and are much more peaceful than sixline wrasses (which are known for doing some horrible things).

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a 60 gallon cube. This is so not what I wanted to hear after rehoming the damsels already lol, but I guess its par for the course of being new to reefing. Any recommendations for docile, hardy fish?
I moved mine from a 55g into my 110g where he's housed with triggers, aggressive wrasse, and a ribbon eel. He doesn't have anyone to bully in there, and it's a perfect for for him.
Learned this the hard way, got sold a cleaner shrimp at the same time, came home after work the next day to found the hawkfish sitting next to a half eaten shrimp. Felt real bad for the shrimp, and frustrated that the LFS sold me them together. Looks like rehoming the hawkfish is the move, I want a peaceful tank full of friendly fish! As much as that’s possible anyhow
I learned the hard way too. I added 2 peppermints at one point, and he gobbled them both up in less than 30 seconds.
Docile fish that would suit your tank are mainly gobies, which you can absolutely mix, don’t listen to others who think you can’t mix different species of gobies. I have about 7 different gobies in my nano alone (3’x16”x1’). They each range in hardiness from my griessingeri which was hard to know if he was settled to my yasha goby who just sits and watches everyone.
You could also add a smaller species of wrasse such as the possums or pink streaks. These will get on with the leucoxanthus and are much more peaceful than sixline wrasses (which are known for doing some horrible things).
Excellent suggestions here for you!
Best of luck! I hope it all works out!

OP
OP
ams3210

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved mine from a 55g into my 110g where he's housed with triggers, aggressive wrasse, and a ribbon eel. He doesn't have anyone to bully in there, and it's a perfect for for him.

I learned the hard way too. I added 2 peppermints at one point, and he gobbled them both up in less than 30 seconds.

Excellent suggestions here for you!
Best of luck! I hope it all works out!
Thank you, I appreciate that! I wish I had a bigger tank to move him into, I have grown pretty attached to him. Lots of personality, love the way he’ll swim around the tank to follow me and watch what I’m doing. However one of my banggai’s died last night and I’m fairly certain it’s from bullying on his part, so it’s time for the hawkfish to go!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back