Please add your best woodworking tips here!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to woodworking and I thought it would be great to have a thread devoted to woodworking hints/tips. My first one is to always rinse out the wood glue cap with warm water between uses. Once that glue dries in there it's a nightmare to get out! Now let's here from everyone else!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dbl @kschweer

Buy the right tools for the job, I can't stress that enough!
Clamp are you best friends, I don't know if you have a joblot in your area but they sell STEEL clamps at half or less what you will find in the big box stores and being all steel is a big plus!

I like Mini Bar Clamp and Quick-Grip Bar Clamp.
When ever possible take the time to make a holding or cutting jig to both support your job and lining up the parts for precision drilling. This one goes without saying but is so true measure 2 -3 times and cut once (no brainier, right), but no fun to have to redo something and I still make the mistakes sometime. To avoid that I now write down all my "to cut" measurements on a notepad and that helps.

Last edited:

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have just begun getting into woodworking.....I can't wait to buy a planer! Sorry I don't have any tips, I'm far too much of a woodworking newb!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert but I do really enjoy wood working. My best tip is to get the right tool for the job, and not try to make something work. Also a good plan goes a long way.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++ On right tool for the job.

With cutting tools, if carbide is available, spend the extra money...it's worth it.

For high use tools, buy quality brand names. For tools used infrequently, Harbor Freight is just fine.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure twice, measure a couple more times, then do it once more... Then cut...
Boy is that the truth. I measured 3 or 4 times and still got it wrong. Luckily the cuts were too long. I have a local lumberyard down the street and they're great.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)I used to build custom cabinets for a living, furniture, and historic restoration. The companies I worked for specialized in traditional woodworking techniques. My biggest tips... Sharp tools, and the right tools for the job. You can't skimp on good equipment, just like your tank. Draw everything out on scrap wood to scale, cross sections are you friend. They will help you understand your project and how all the parts are going to fit. Plus if you do this your measuring stuff a million times before you actually touch the wood. Find the best most straight wood you can the less tooling you need to do the better, unless you have a home shop with a planner and jointer. I will go through like 20 2x4s at home depot before I find even 1 that is good. Also make jigs. A good 90 degree jig and some clamps will make sure your joints are straight whether your screwing things together or using joinery. A quality T square Sterrate is the trade standard is a must. Patience and more patience don't rush your project or you will mess it up. My biggest tip, safety if you start with 10 fingers make sure you finish with 10. One of my bosses used to say, and it's a mantra of mine to this day. You don't plan to fail, you fail to plan-wood working 101! That is all, any questions feel free to ask. BTW I'm now a registered nurse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Draw out a measured drawing, make a cut list. by doing this you save half the time. A board foot is calculated 1"x 12" that would be 1 board foot of 4/4. buy net tally at the lumber yard, is exactly what you are getting. some do gross tally and you do not get exactly what you ordered. If you are purchasing ruff lumber figure that you will lose %25 of the wood in the planing and jointing process so figure a extra .25 when purchasing. I you get into finishing go air less, your cost of setting up is less then going with a compressor and the right guns to lay down finish. If you do decide to go with a compressor for air tools the Higher CFM is your friend and tank size. always were eye protection, and a mask when finishing. And the number one tip is when you are tired, stop working and get some rest. I don't care how good you are this is when you will get hurt.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I drilled pilot holes to attach two 2x4's at a right angle, I made the mistake of screwing in the first screw all the way before drilling the second hole. This knocked things out of whack because the second pilot hole went in at a slightly different angle. Next time, I'm going to drill a center hole first and secure with a screw before any drilling on either side. Beginner's mistake.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of great advice here already, but I'll reinforce a few.

Buy the right tools! QUALITY TOOLS!!
Buying a cheap tool is the same as buying a cheap skimmer; you'll wish you spent the money correctly the first time.
Buy the right materials; QUALITY MATERIALS!!
Your projects can only be as good as your materials. The old saying of "Polishing a turd" applies here.

And with any project, there's a saying we use a lot called the "Seven P's".
"Prior Proper Planning Prevents tick Poor Performance"
Spend time designing your project from start to finish. Taking accurate measurements, making drawings and cut lists prior to making your first cut will ensure that you minimize mistakes; "minimize" mistakes. Take your time at the start of the project to think through all of the steps and any obstacles you may encounter down the road. It's good to work things out on paper, instead of just in your head, as you may see something that you hadn't thought of.

When it comes to finishing your project, don't rush it!
A very well designed and constructed project can be ruined by a bad sanding/stain/finish job. A thorough sanding through various grits will erase the tooling marks and allow the grain of the wood to show through. Finishing is when you can really make a project comes to life with various stains and finishes. Don't think of this as just the final step and rush through it.

So... patience goes a long ways with this hobby also.

Good luck!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you secure frames from the inside, e.g. the screws inside the frame? Is this a bad idea for a saltwater tank?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second finding a good lumber shop. I have one down the street and for a small fee they helped me level and plane my base. They have the best equipment and a ton of knowledge. I paid to have them cut my wood and it's dead on accurate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back