Please check my UV math

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to work out the flow rate for my TMC Vecton 600 25w that I have plumbed direct to my display. The display is roughly 80G after rock and sand.

From my understanding for UV to be effective you need a x3 turn over rate. 80g x 3 works out to a flow rate of 240G p/h or 900L p/h

I've got a 1L measuring container, there are 3,600 seconds in 1 hour.

To hit 900L p/h I need to have that container fill in 4 seconds.

That's my question, based on all the above if I tune my UV flow rate to fill a 1L container in 4 seconds, that should be achiveing my 240G p/h.

Sound right? ;Bookworm

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to edit my post, but I forgot to include I'm tuning this UV setup to fight a dino outbreak.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are a little mistaken, UV effectiveness has nothing to do with tank volume turnover. It only matters in exposure time for the water around the quartz sleeve.

The longer the exposure time the better germicidal effect. In general terms slower water kills larger bugs. Faster water only kills smaller bugs.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I think you raise a good point, because it is about turnover but also exposure, which is where it gets complicated because then you have to factor in wattage and length of the tube as well.

So to simplify this thread let’s presume with a flow rate of 240gph my UV can perform level one sterilization which will kill dinos.

I’m just checking my math makes sense when calculating flow rate with my 1L measuring container.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are a little mistaken, UV effectiveness has nothing to do with tank volume turnover. It only matters in exposure time for the water around the quartz sleeve.

The longer the exposure time the better germicidal effect. In general terms slower water kills larger bugs. Faster water only kills smaller bugs.
Clarification/sterilization is a function of dwell time inside the unit, that is true. But you also have to move a reasonable amount of tank water through the unit per hour in order for that clarification/sterilization to do anything useful. OP is correct that about 2-3x is a good target. Thus, you need to size the UV so that you get sterilization flow rates AND adequate turnover. I run a 110 watt on my tank, which is 400 gallons before displacement. I run 1,100 gph though the unit to get level 1 sterilization and am moving nominally 2.5X

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to work out the flow rate for my TMC Vecton 600 25w that I have plumbed direct to my display. The display is roughly 80G after rock and sand.

From my understanding for UV to be effective you need a x3 turn over rate. 80g x 3 works out to a flow rate of 240G p/h or 900L p/h

I've got a 1L measuring container, there are 3,600 seconds in 1 hour.

To hit 900L p/h I need to have that container fill in 4 seconds.

That's my question, based on all the above if I tune my UV flow rate to fill a 1L container in 4 seconds, that should be achiveing my 240G p/h.

Sound right? ;Bookworm
Your maths is correct.

UV just gets a little complex when you factor in dwell times and exposure strength.

I have a vague recollection that somewhere is a bit of a table that can be used to determine the minimum exposure time and strength (wattage) necessary for various bacteria, algae and protozoans.

I assume you are wanting to use if for dinos? Are you sure that the variety you have like to go into the water column? If they do then don’t worry too much, plumb your UV in and switch it on. You can always adjust from there.

Back