Please dont be what i think it is..

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ive loved this whole process so far. Its crazy even though i have no fish or inverts in the tank there is still so much more life in the tank to watch and observe.
It's definitely a lot to learn and there is so much information out there. This forum is excellent and will help a great deal. Some things that work for some, may not work for you but trial and error.... you will learn a lot about marine life and in time, you will have a beautiful tank to enjoy.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost like reptile claws. I would take out of tank and place in tupperware and do whatever u plan to do so the spores dont escape when u try to kill it. Ive seen ppl use blast hot water w a small tube then suck it out w tube (youtube video of it)--this is the cheap method. I would probably scrape or break that part off but make sure u rinse that rock w new saltwater. U have a qt tank?
Im afraid not. I have two other nems i just spotted to. I thought one was just a featherduster on the sole purpose it retracted when touched but i just read the nems can do that to.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a lot to learn and there is so much information out there. This forum is excellent and will help a great deal. Some things that work for some, may not work for you but trial and error.... you will learn a lot about marine life and in time, you will have a beautiful tank to enjoy.
Ive learned so much the past 3 weeks just by asking questions on here lol mainly zoa and hitchhiker and lighting questions. Im loving it so far!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive learned so much the past 3 weeks just by asking questions on here lol mainly zoa and hitchhiker and lighting questions. Im loving it so far!
That is good. No regrets!! Ha ha. This is one hobby where research will prove to be beneficial. Good luck!

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good. No regrets!! Ha ha. This is one hobby where research will prove to be beneficial. Good luck!
Thank you!! Trust me im sure ill be posting alot more questions in the future. Especially once i get fish. But I'll update you guys on the nems with whatever i do with em.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your original plan of chipping it out of the center. That's pretty full proof, but you need to be very careful handling those zoanthids, if you cut, crush or damage them they can release palytoxin which is, as the name implies, toxic to humans. I also prefer to use kalkwasser paste over commercial aiptasia products or peppermint shrimp. I have seen many peppermints go after corals when the aiptasia supply is depleted, though certainly not always.

crystalseatexas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen peppermint shrimp become pests too... we use aiptasia away, I think is like aiptasiax. Check the tank every week st least for awhile, kill them off until they stop showing up. This will not be your first pest nor your first aiptasia outbreak!

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Aiptasia X today.!! Lets get rid of it! But uh oh.. One of the nems wandered off...

1493934231263394927244.jpg

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your original plan of chipping it out of the center. That's pretty full proof, but you need to be very careful handling those zoanthids, if you cut, crush or damage them they can release palytoxin which is, as the name implies, toxic to humans. I also prefer to use kalkwasser paste over commercial aiptasia products or peppermint shrimp. I have seen many peppermints go after corals when the aiptasia supply is depleted, though certainly not always.
Chipping the rock now is pointles it wandered off to a new location...

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use boiling water and a turkey baster squirt it till it shrivels up then suck it right of the rock. Never had a problem and its really easy! And it is free!

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so to end this thread ill give you a last review. Aiptasia X, i love it. Worked great 2/3 nems i had are now KIA will the third is MIA no idea where i went off to but the hunt continues. The other two nems who recevied the chemical are now dead and nothing remains. Really pleased on how well it worked. But note to self will use gloves next time like they say. Using this with an open cut on your finger is no where pleasent but we are all hard headed from time to time. But awesome stuff love it. I will continue to keep using this on my battle with aiptasia. Thank you all again for the advice your all awesome!!

MikeL.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with aptasiaX, been using it as needed for over a year now whenever one pops up. I had a similar problem just last week. bought a rock covered in zoas and after I got it home found a few aptasia on it. the package comes with a needle applicator, very easy to use. just point it directly at the mouth and give it a drop. then sit back and watch it dissolve within a minute or so. I don't know if I got just lucky, but none of my zoas were affected, and they were all packed in tight around each other with the aptasia just scattered here and there between them. I would recommend it also because one bottle will last you a long time and its easy to use. will save you lots of headaches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back