Please explain "types" of Acros

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neuratox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Neuratox

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Messages
244
Reaction score
232
Location
Clemmons, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've seen acroporas under multiple names, some of them are more a family classification than a name. I've run across milli, tenuis, stag, tort, and digiti. Are there others? I can tell a milli now when I see one, but as for the rest, I'm totally in the dark. It would be great if I could better understand this as there are some I like and others that I'm really not fond of. Any guidance would be very appreciated!
 
Over the years I've seen acroporas under multiple names, some of them are more a family classification than a name. I've run across milli, tenuis, stag, tort, and digiti. Are there others? I can tell a milli now when I see one, but as for the rest, I'm totally in the dark. It would be great if I could better understand this as there are some I like and others that I'm really not fond of. Any guidance would be very appreciated!
Acropora is the species name, and the type of Acropora is the scientific name. For example Acorpora Millepora, Acropora Tortuosa, or Acropora Tenuis. Staghom, table, bushy, etc. are descriptive names of the growth pattern. There are many different Acropora. Here is a great resource for ID. http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/page/home/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new