Please Help a fellow American Down On His Luck.... ;-)

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All in Reef Land,
I purchase some cheato yesterday at my local reef store and when I got it home I could see several live critters of various forms. Small snails and other moving creatures. So I filled a bucket with salt water and stuck the ball of cheato in there. Should I be worried about these critters. Please Help and Thanks In Advance.

OP
OP
CasaReefer

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of one of them

BUG.jpg bug2.jpg bug3.jpg

Last edited:

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bug looking one is an amphipod, they eat small organisms such as copepods. They’re a great snack for a lot of fish. Second looks like a limpet snail, another good thing to have in the tank

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You Very Much.
Some people report that amphipods eat coral but... I’ve never seen it. I believe they eat algae too so what people may think is eating coral is probably just them causing them to close up while they scavenge for food IMO

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people report that amphipods eat coral but... I’ve never seen it. I believe they eat algae too so what people may think is eating coral is probably just them causing them to close up while they scavenge for food IMO
Amphipods DO eat coral, and I have seen it first hand. They also severely deplete copepod populations IME. My amphipods were eating a new coral with no algae on it, and I also saw parts of the coral where pieces had been eaten. The second does not look like a limpet to me, could you get a photo from the side?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Did I say something wrong?? I sent a picture for you to look at. I still don't know if they are good or bad?
First pic is amphipod, and it's good and a great part of CUC as well as good fish food. Second pic is the part of a snail that closes the shell up. I don't know what it's called off hand, but it's not alive, and not harmful.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods are scavengers, and do not eat live coral. If you've seen them on your coral, they are scavenging, and your coral was already dying. They are scavenging the dead tissue.

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is amphipod, and it's good and a great part of CUC as well as good fish food. Second pic is the part of a snail that closes the shell up. I don't know what it's called off hand, but it's not alive, and not harmful.
Just for what it's worth the snails trap door is called his operculum. ;)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods are scavengers, and do not eat live coral. If you've seen them on your coral, they are scavenging, and your coral was already dying. They are scavenging the dead tissue.
Yes and yes.
Hello, Did I say something wrong?? I sent a picture for you to look at. I still don't know if they are good or bad?
Left work and evening life started; sorry.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I entirely disagree. Have you ever seen or had amphipods on a coral? If so, you would know that they do eat corals. I have seen this first hand, on a healthy, new coral. I watched them take bites. This lasted for several days until I fw dipped the coral and stuck it in a bowl that amphipods couldn’t get into, where the coral opened again.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back