Please Help Acans not opening I tried everything I could think of...

Robert Fowler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay So ever since I upgraded tanks added a bunch a fish swapped over to 2 kessil 360 we's (all at the same time) my acans have all looked terrible for the past 3-4 months most are alive and have not lost heads but are completely sunk in and not puffy whats so ever...

My parameters are all spot on and I've held them where they are consistently

Salinity 1.025
Alk 8.5 - 9.0
Calcium 425-450
Nitrates >.5

After keeping my params stable I moved on to lighting

So I did upgrade from a Revive T247 to 2 kessil 360's when I upgraded from a JBJ45 to my Reefer 350 and I initially may have had my Kessils set too high at 100%
I started ramping them down and the acans showed no interested I have have them at max 40% for 2 months straight and still no improvement I have seen a few threads here and there about Kessils being detrimental for Acans but I'm gonna consider this as my very LAST option...

My stocking list is/was as followed:
Viglimi tang Traded in
Blue tang Still in tank
Sailfin tang Traded in
Corris Wrasse Still in tank
Melanarius Wrasse Traded in
Clown pair Still in tank
Lawnmover blenny Still in tank
Blue devil damsel Still in tank
Fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp Still in tank

I removed the Melanarius Wrasse and Viglimi and Sailfin tang because I suspected them of picking at the coral. They have been out of the tank for 3-4 weeks now and still no improvement!

Im desperate for any kind of feedback at this point I dont know what tiny thing Im overlooking. I think acans might be my boogie coral... keep in mind all other corals look phenomenal!!
I my LPS is open and colorful I have a few sps thriving as well.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are spot feeding your acans, I bet the cleaner shrimp is removing the food when you're not watching. I re-homed my cleaner shrimp because he pestered my lps on a regular basis. I've never had a fire shrimp, so I can't comment on it.

OP
OP
R

Robert Fowler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have seen my cleaner shrimp do this but would that cause the acans to never open or are cleaners known to eat acans?

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, they don't typically eat acans; however, my cleaner shrimp would pry open a coral's mouth to get at food, so I'm thinking that it's possible that the shrimp could incidentally consume any part of the coral exposed to the food.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans have always been a sensitive coral IME. One of the first LPS to show signs of chemistry swings or something off in the tank. Could be a number of things from live stock to lighting. As long as your certain your not having chemistry swings I'd find a spot at the bottom of the tank with low, medium indirect flow and try to leave them be. Kessils are more than capable of supporting acans.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow? The two micromussas that i have are at the end of the flow cycle of my tank (if that makes any sense). The water flow from the powerhead will bounce off two panels/glass before coming around to the opposite corner where they are.
They are also a bit shaded from a tall rock where they reside.

I would definitely try spot feeding them mysis shrimp and protecting them until they eat everything.

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After swap the tank. Flow change light system change. Kessile light has more par. If all the live rock and others stuff came form the old tank. Try put them under some where more dark spot let them take time to acclimate too your new system. It happens to me when I upg my light system. A lot coral showing dead and not opening up. After tune with par meter and some led acclimated takes almost 40 days to get my sps back in to coral. Form recovery. Here is one of pic almost lost this frag and cam back
24e71be26506151ecb47c760b2064966.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back