Please help control these

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I need some help controlling these parameters, especially high nitrates, low alkalinity and maybe too high mag? The tank is a mixed 150 gallon reef and has been running for about 4 years, always with nitrates around 10-20. After the common neglect during summer, I noticed magnesium had dropped to 1050, so I dosed some to raise it. I have also been dosing aquaforest nitraphos daily to lower nitrates, but it doees not seem to have done much so far. My paramaters are as follows:
Salinity 26
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Mg 1500
Calcium 450
Alk 6.5
Phosphate 0.03
Ph 8.0
I do a 8%-10% water change every two weeks, dose AF bio-s and pro bio-s with every water change. I feed twice per day, a few flakes in the morning and a cube of something frozen in the evening. I also dose AF aminos, energy, build and vitality once per week.
My question is, does this seem OK? Is Alk too low and mag too high and could this be a problem? And how do I lower nitrates apart from water changes and nitraphos dosing?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I need some help controlling these parameters, especially high nitrates, low alkalinity and maybe too high mag? The tank is a mixed 150 gallon reef and has been running for about 4 years, always with nitrates around 10-20. After the common neglect during summer, I noticed magnesium had dropped to 1050, so I dosed some to raise it. I have also been dosing aquaforest nitraphos daily to lower nitrates, but it doees not seem to have done much so far. My paramaters are as follows:
Salinity 26
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Mg 1500
Calcium 450
Alk 6.5
Phosphate 0.03
Ph 8.0
I do a 8%-10% water change every two weeks, dose AF bio-s and pro bio-s with every water change. I feed twice per day, a few flakes in the morning and a cube of something frozen in the evening. I also dose AF aminos, energy, build and vitality once per week.
My question is, does this seem OK? Is Alk too low and mag too high and could this be a problem? And how do I lower nitrates apart from water changes and nitraphos dosing?
Those numbers are fine as long as you keep them stable. I personally would raise ALK to at least 7 but if the coral all look good, then it isn't a big deal. Your best bet to lower nitrates (again, they are fine as long as you aren't having any issues) would be to increase the water change frequency or amount of water being changed......assuming you are using RO/DI water. Mg will fall on its' own. What salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are fine as long as you keep them stable. I personally would raise ALK to at least 7 but if the coral all look good, then it isn't a big deal. Your best bet to lower nitrates (again, they are fine as long as you aren't having any issues) would be to increase the water change frequency or amount of water being changed......assuming you are using RO/DI water. Mg will fall on its' own. What salt mix are you using?
Hi, thanks. Trying to keep as stable as possible and raise Alk a bit. I am using Aquaforest reef salt

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks. Trying to keep as stable as possible and raise Alk a bit. I am using Aquaforest reef salt
Sounds like you are on the right track. Aquaforest salt mixes on the low side in regards to ALK anyways so keeping your number around 7-7.5 would be perfect.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back