Please help!! Do I need to remove this colony or can I save it?

clownfishl0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be kind, as I am new to reef keeping.

I added a favia colony on Saturday and it was happily eating and feeding its mouths with its tentacles the past couple days. Then I noticed what looked like the frozen fish food, that I feed my fish, starting to build up on it. Some of its mouths were packed with it, including a layer of what I thought was food covering part of it. I removed the excess food with a scraper (terrible idea, learned the hard way). Now part of its flesh is missing. I am questioning if it was actually food on it or some sort of disease

I have other LPS and soft corals that all seem to be doing well, including another favia that I’ve had for awhile. Tank is only a few month
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Phosphate: .1
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1450
Temp: 77° F

Unfortunately, I didn’t take a photo with the substance on it. Here is before and after.

IMG_2489.jpeg

IMG_2603.jpeg

Should I treat to treat with an iodine dip or something else? Or should I remove to prevent spread of disease to other coral?

OP
OP
clownfishl0ver

clownfishl0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2611.jpeg

After removing all the excess food by gently blowing it off with tank water in a spot feeder, this is what it looks like.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2611.jpeg

After removing all the excess food by gently blowing it off with tank water in a spot feeder, this is what it looks like.
Is the tissue recession continuing or did it stop??. It almost looks like the dead part has been dead for a while because it's green with algae with a little white that indicates new STN. Didn't ever have a goopy jelly blob on it where it was dying.? It's salvageable if you ask me

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see anymore flesh coming off then it will probably heal up with good water conditions, although an iodine dip cant hurt and would start the process sooner than later.

OP
OP
clownfishl0ver

clownfishl0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tissue recession continuing or did it stop??. It almost looks like the dead part has been dead for a while because it's green with algae with a little white that indicates new STN. Didn't ever have a goopy jelly blob on it where it was dying.? It's salvageable if you ask me
I think the tissue rescission has stopped. There is no algae, the tissue itself is green. The tissue recession just started within the past couple days. It did have a goopy substance on it where it was dying.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2611.jpeg

the skeleton in the middle had a green hue meaning old death the white is new death, I would watch the area of new death and make sure it doesn't continue. It seems like brown jelly has effected your coral at some point. The scrubbing Probably damaged the coral making it susceptible to infection. If it does continue My go to is peroxide but iodine might be ok if there isn't an ongoing super aggressive infection. Iodine isn't effective with stopping an active brown jelly infection. Favias grow slow but it should eventually regrow.

OP
OP
clownfishl0ver

clownfishl0ver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2611.jpeg

the skeleton in the middle had a green hue meaning old death the white is new death, I would watch the area of new death and make sure it doesn't continue. It seems like brown jelly has effected your coral at some point. The scrubbing Probably damaged the coral making it susceptible to infection. If it does continue My go to is peroxide but iodine might be ok if there isn't an ongoing super aggressive infection. Iodine isn't effective with stopping an active brown jelly infection. Favias grow slow but it should eventually regrow.
Thank you so much for the info!! I think you’re right and that it may be brown jelly. I got rid of it to prevent the spread to other coral.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back