Please help. Don’t want to kill another poor fish...

What to do?

• Freshwater dip then copper

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Start copper

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Keep doing water changes and hope it eats

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Other...

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lets just bail ,go help somebody else let this go away

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all still here lol i,m out peace guys/gals

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mycoolhamm you are doing the right thing. Hell be more out in a couple days, hippos are just goofy. Let us know if you have any more problems or questions. Happy reefing!

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just appreciative of people who can actually help others progress

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
D2E45CF0-2FEA-4FA4-8C54-DE3C0DB76A6C.jpeg
hi you have some good advice here ,just ignore the rest happy reefing

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread needed to be cleaned up. Personal attacks and aggressive behavior will not be tolerated and are against our TOS.

Keep it kind and on the subject matter.

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week ago. I bought a hippo tang from a friend breaking down his tank. It was very fat, great color, and looked great. Brought him home and put him in Qt. Day 1 he may have ate a couple scraps but not much. Basically spent the first couple of days laying in side and wouldn’t do much. Put in some extra pvc fittings bc I figured it was stress and still won’t do anything but hide in pvc or lay on side. I can see a couple spots of ich now that are probably related to being stressed. I want to start copper but not sure if that will stress an already stressed fish. Should I start copper or fresh water dip or what?
So far I’ve tried soaking food in garlic and change water every other day.
Common behaviour for a regal he's got good colours which tend to lack in a sick fish but I noticed your lighting looks quite bright it would help reduce stress if the lighting was slightly dimmer just a thought good luck

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point is we are trying to make it so there isn't That Big of a difference!
If your quarantine tank is a second establishing ecosystem, then obviously theres nothing wrong. I'm talking about just a box with water, heater, and a PVC. There i an obvious HUGE difference between that environment and a DT type environment which is much closer to their natural world. You, as a human, if you feared you are being hunted and have no idea where you are, would you feel comfortable with buildings and trees around, or would you be okay being at the top of an open hill and bare sky? As a human with ability to rationalize, you would be terrified.. now imagine a fish who basically has been abducted by an entity outside its scope of realm and ability to rationalize.

In nature when i am diving, fish are not afraid of me, they swim by me like i'm part of the water because there are tons of places to hide if they wanted, plus tons of fish swimming around giving them affirmation that it's safe. But in the tank, they are mostly terrified of us...
I think you answered your own question with this.
There will always be some degree of stress in a tank. Disease is not caused by stress, although stress can make one more susceptible to disease.

Quarantine is meant to isolate and treat pathogens that cause disease before they are exposed to the rest of our community in the tank and endanger our other fish.

I also dive and our tanks are nothing like the ocean. I would argue a quarantine tank is so much more similar to even a 200 gallon tank than the ocean.

Quarantine also allows you to get the fish to eat without having the rest of our fish to deal with.

And Just to add an example... would you take one of the healthcare workers that cared for the coronavirus patient in CA without proper personal protective equipment into your house and stay with them in the same room 24 hours a day while they are under observation? Will even great food and vitamin C prevent you from getting the disease?

I know most of us would not because coronavirus is caused by coronavirus, not stress. We quarantine away from the rest of the community to prevent spread of the pathogen.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you quarantine a healthy happy captive fish? He shows no sign of disease but if you keep him there then hit his immune system with copper and more treatments then you will have a sick fish on your hands... I would have released the little guy into the tank and let him continue being fine! Are you sure you see ich? Pics?
Many of us aim to keep our tanks free of pathogens and parasites to the best of our ability. My 500G wall tank and 180 reef are devoid of easy to omit parasites and my fish are fat and healthy in their tanks. I don’t see spots or flare ups, and it is a great feeling.

I assume all new fish are carrying parasites and my resident fish in my display tanks are thankful for it. I answer to them, first and foremost.

I used to be one of the biggest proponents AGAINST quarantine but things have worsened over the years in the distribution system and my taste of fish has become more expensive and ornamental and this acts as a great insurance policy and a way to ethically keep expert level fish. This is just my viewpoint. Others may of course adopt their own.

Some fish are very fragile and susceptible to parasites and shouldn’t be kept in systems that “maintain” known parasites.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly speaking, in microbiology, ich most likely and almost certainly present all tanks. It is an opportunistic pathogen that is likely kept at bay by a fish's healthy immune system.

If you have an otherwise healthy and stable tank and have made no recent additions to you tank but your temp spikes for several hours (or some other change to the otherwise healthy tank conditions) and one or two of you fish get ich, where did it come from? The fish, their immunity dropped due to changes in environmental factors and gave the ich a foothold.

Same thing can happen to humans when their immune systems become compromised. In this case, the healthy fish was pushed.
Ich is an animal, it can be kept from your tank much like cleaner shrimp and starfish.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this thread has been cleaned up, I am glad I did not see what was deleted. I think it needs a lot more cleaning. It is a personal choice whether to QT or not, but there is so much information that is wrong that I hate new reefers to read and believe what is being said. A fish can get an injury and then a bacterial infection in a clean tank. A fish cannot get a parasite or disease that is not present in a clean tank unless it is introduced. If this fish has ich, then the happy tank it came from also had ich. Some forms of this parasite are a lot more devastating than others, but they all can kill and infect other tank mates. Not to QT a fish showing ich is a disaster in waiting. Myself, I have many hundreds of dollars of fish in my tank and adding a sick fish is out of the question.

As to ich and the natural reef versus a glass box is silly to even try to compare. This is like saying everyone will get this new virus going around because everyone has it already. Now, if you are on a cruise ship and the virus is there, the chances go WAY up. Internet forums are good and evil because anyone can say anything, but it doesn't make all things said correct.

Zan's Aquatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my... lol

Many wild caught fish carry the opportunistic ich so it is highly likely to exist in many aquariums, do you want to stress the fish and find out? or keep it happy and healthy and never know? its your practice. There are more than 1 successful logics in everything. Most of you are acting like you're a scientist in your field when in really you are vigorously regurgitating information from someone who also regurgitated the information. I'm not saying you're wrong but you can't really say I am wrong if it has worked for many reefers with a common and communicated practice as mine. In this thread alone several reefers questioned Why he would QT in this circumstance, so why are you acting like I am So Far Out? Why be so extreme and closed off to other practices like reefing is a religious with only one way? If science can't say there is only one way, then you certainly shouldn't. As far as the new comers, you should be encouraging them to study, not putting blinders on them so they are only able to see your comments.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back