Please help ID this critter! After doing some research possible hydroid?

Stephen16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These little white strands are coming out of rock work especially in the evening they are all over the place. Tried suck and grabbing with tweezers and they just retract. I was doing some research and they look like digitate hydroids and doesn't seem as if there is anyway to rid of them completely. I haven't added anything new to tank in a couple months and everything gets dipped. Please help me ID and get rid of these things if possible!! I can give tank parameters if needed. It's about 7 months old and seeing first signs of Coraline algae starting. Noticed the critters start popping up about 3 weeks ago or so. Appreciate any thoughts or advice since im a fairly new to reefing.

Attachments

• 20220804_142634.mp4
    9.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These little white strands are coming out of rock work especially in the evening they are all over the place. Tried suck and grabbing with tweezers and they just retract. I was doing some research and they look like digitate hydroids and doesn't seem as if there is anyway to rid of them completely. I haven't added anything new to tank in a couple months and everything gets dipped. Please help me ID and get rid of these things if possible!! I can give tank parameters if needed. It's about 7 months old and seeing first signs of Coraline algae starting. Noticed the critters start popping up about 3 weeks ago or so. Appreciate any thoughts or advice since im a fairly new to reefing.
Can’t open video on my phone but description sounds like tube worm, spinoid worm or vermetid worm

OP
OP
S

Stephen16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but description sounds like tube worm, spinoid worm or vermetid worm
I tried downloading a smaller video in the thread. Maybe it was too long of a video first time but thank you for your input. I don't see any tube it literally just looks like long white strings coming from the rocks. No tube that it retracts back into

OP
OP
S

Stephen16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220804-212647_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either spinoid or vermetid as pic is blurry

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back