2 Reefer 170s 1 Guy

reef_725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

recently pulled down a 20ish gallon I ran for 4 plus years and set up a couple red seas, figured I document the progress for myself and anyone else who'd like to follow along. You'll see both tanks have nearly the same equipment functionally but slightly different brands ect as I plan to test different equipment to find what I more or less want to run on the next large tank. Stage 1 plan is using tank #1 for nicer coral with reef safe fish and tank #2 for more average coral/QT for tank #1 and "questionably" reef safe fish. Stage 2 plan is for large display setup in next room over and use these 170 as a 2 stage QT for large display...plans may change but this is my current.

Tank #1:
Tank - Reefer170 G1
Lighting - Radion xr15 G4pro running through a reef link
Flow - vortec MP10, varios 2
Temp - Bayite monitor with jaguar heater and jaybo dual fan
Misc. - factory ATO gravity fed (terrible) backed with AutoAqua Smart ATO/AWC system (swear by it), some cabinet lighting for under tank work, 2 power strips with individually controlled switches, and a auto feeder for fish.

summery - this tank I started fairly sterile with dry rock quarantined fish/coral from take down tank and bagged "live sand". Filtration is not where I would like it to be at this point but there is very little bio load (2 clowns, long nose hawk) so not much of a concern at the moment with my weekly water changes.

5A55D33D-37A9-4F1F-BBF6-61EAE1DCF76A_1_201_a.jpeg

tempImagevPhkrp.jpg

tempImagefjAnfD.jpg
ignore the wire mess on the left as that's a project to finish this week...

Tank #2:
Tank - Reefer170 G1
Lighting - Kessil A160WE running through a Kessil spectral x controller
Flow - vortec MP10, varios 6 (overkill and running on lowest setting but I had left over from an old larger tank)
Temp - Ink Bird wifi monitor with jaguar heater and jaybo dual fan
Misc. - factory ATO gravity fed (terrible) backed with AutoAqua Smart ATO system, some cabinet lighting for under tank work, 1 (soon to be 2) power strips with individually controlled switches, and a auto feeder for fish will be added from tank #1 when I select my next fish.

summery - This tank is slightly different as far as in the water, it has bagged live sand, used but should have been dead rock in display and all of the "sump rock"from the take down tank is in the sump.

tempImage3r1hlX.jpg
kessil controller wire will be routed this week along with the rest of the wire mess in the cabinet
tempImageu2KH0i.jpg

tempImagerRKkle.jpg

OP
OP
reef_725

reef_725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -

Tank #1:
got through more wire management, defiantly want to order a titanium heater so I can hopefully run it laying front to back and better route the power cable. Also picked up a media basket to run filter floss instead of filter socks so should make maintenance a bit easier. Running a power head in sump to stir up debris that made it through the poor filter sock the tank comes with so that will be one less wire running down there.

tempImage0axxSj.jpg

Tank #2:
got through more wire management but ran out of clips so I'll have to get more ordered and save that for next weekend. Also went too hookup the ATO and realized im out of outlets so ill also haver to order one pot those, at the moment im having to unplug my cabinet lights to run the ATO.

tempImageYblNOM.jpg

also picked up a few pieces of coral, one being this red Goni I've never had the chance to try, assuming this one does well for a couple months or so ill get rid go it and grab a rainbow that in my opinion has a nicer color
tempImagez3cDPk.jpg

Back