OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggressive and fast growing would characterize these guys....I really need to frag them up. That was only one picture to help with the ID. The stalks get big too.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sounds like them, searching Pandora's Palythoa will come up with more results. Alos, careful fragging these guys, they can carry palytoxin, so try and keep them under water. Many hobbyisits like to make fun of those overly cautious around palythoa, but I got a light dose from a large colony and that toxin is no joke, better to be safe than sorry!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I see those called Pandora's Paly, super fast and aggressive growers
Definitely sounds like them, searching Pandora's Palythoa will come up with more results. Alos, careful fragging these guys, they can carry palytoxin, so try and keep them under water. Many hobbyisits like to make fun of those overly cautious around palythoa, but I got a light dose from a large colony and that toxin is no joke, better to be safe than sorry!

Definitely.

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the ID as well.

Cheers,
Isaac

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know the comic book name but
That's not real Palythoa sp. They may call it pandora palys, but they aren't really Palythoa sp.

Just sayying

That is a Zoanthid, maybe Z. gigantus?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@isaacalves

here’s my grown out colony for reference. As stated above, they are Pandora’s

BB259CB4-5C50-4667-A62E-D505B7E32DA0.jpeg
Beautiful, and I do understand that they are referred to in the trade as "pandora palys" but it is incorrect, they are not true palythoa, like the people eater "palys" are all Zoanthus. gigantus, also, Armour of the gods "palys"- is actually believed to be Zoanthus kuroshio

Comic book names are great and all, they definitely have their place when describing color morphs and the collectabilty aspect of it has grown the hobby, which is great.
But when the comic book names start leading to misidentification problems, it's a pet peeve I guess, lol

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, and I do understand that they are referred to in the trade as "pandora palys" but it is incorrect, they are not true palythoa, like the people eater "palys" are all Zoanthus. gigantus, also, Armour of the gods "palys"- is actually believed to be Zoanthus kuroshio

Comic book names are great and all, they definitely have their place when describing color morphs and the collectabilty aspect of it has grown the hobby, which is great.
But when the comic book names start leading to misidentification problems, it's a pet peeve I guess, lol

Great info clarification.
Thank you :)

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just know them as Pandora’s. Whether or not they are true plays, I don’t know. I just said in my post above that they are “Pandora’s.” I’ll take you at your word on it though as I’m not really a big zoa guy but rather an Acro freak! :)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just know them as Pandora’s. Whether or not they are true plays, I don’t know. I just said in my post above that they are “Pandora’s.” I’ll take you at your word on it though as I’m not really a big zoa guy but rather an Acro freak! :)

I'm a stick head myself :D

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All have palyotoxin which as stated is extremely dangerous (I read second deadliest toxin LD50 by weight). Use gloves and eye wear, do all fragging under water and never boil any instrument or rock exposed to them. I recently changed tanks and simply gave my LFS (who did the install) the palys and the live rock they were attached to, some 20lb plus live pieces
As far as classification who cares, palys, Zoe’s ect all extremely similar and phylogeny matters very little

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All have palyotoxin which as stated is extremely dangerous (I read second deadliest toxin LD50 by weight). Use gloves and eye wear, do all fragging under water and never boil any instrument or rock exposed to them. I recently changed tanks and simply gave my LFS (who did the install) the palys and the live rock they were attached to, some 20lb plus live pieces
As far as classification who cares, palys, Zoe’s ect all extremely similar and phylogeny matters very little
While precautions should be taken with all coral

Studies have shown many species of zoanthus contain undetectable/not present levels of palytoxin, even some species of palythoa were found to be devoid of it.

Screenshot_20191004-182236_Drive.jpg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So that pattern above is commonly called (comic book name :)) Pandora “Paly” but really these are not Palys but Zoas

Genus: Zoanthus
Species: Gigantus
Binomial Name: Zoanthus Gigantus
Common names: “Pandora”,...

From what I’ve been reading these are definitely Zoas because of incorporating a non-sediment connective tissue. These particular Pandoras definitely have smoother skin and are connected using this connected tissue.

A good reference article:
https://saltyunderground.com/category/identifying-zoanthus-palythoa-and-protopalythoa

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back