Please help identify weird algae?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rea1975
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rea1975

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2023
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had an explosion of this brown short algae. I can blow it off rocks and coral but it is spreading very fast. Water parameters are good verified by recent ICP. I feel like I have seen it before but just a little here and a little there but recently it is everywhere.
Please help identify and if you know a natural predator for it.
Thank you all in advance!

IMG_3819.png IMG_3806.jpeg
 
My total guess would be not algae but sponge?
 
What kind of CUC do you have?
 
Interesting! It does not grow long so maybe do. Any idea why it has blown up? Any natural way to get rid if it?
If it is sponge it’s not a bad pest so to speak but maybe just something you don’t want, some people actually deliberately try and grow it in theirs tanks…check your silica as I believe sponge feed on that, reducing that may help and physical removal shouldn’t harm anything, again working on the premise it is sponge.
 
If it is sponge it’s not a bad pest so to speak but maybe just something you don’t want, some people actually deliberately try and grow it in theirs tanks…check your silica as I believe sponge feed on that, reducing that may help and physical removal shouldn’t harm anything, again working on the premise it is sponge.
I have never cared about sponges before, but this is taking over and it is growing/attaching to corals. I will check silica levels. Thank you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new