Please help me choose light.

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I bought this biocube second hand and he had put in the orbit marine light so he didnt have to keep replacing the bulbs, he also added 4 blue led strips for coloration they are actually made for and by coralife biocube.
20191208_190722.jpg

From the research I've gathered so far is that the orbits are sub par lighting due to their low wattage. I do really like the ramp timer and the colors with the added coralife blue, but I'd really like my corals to grow more so. So I was wondering if I could just put a second orbit strip in with the first. I have also found this video that I could easily do this is the light
Screenshot_20191209-212037_Chrome.jpg

I know taking the hood off and putting a kessel on would be the best choice but I really like the hood not sure why. Does anyone have an opinion if either of these ideas would grow well. Or another idea to put a better light in the hood?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 32 cube and just took the lid off and hung a light. I then had cromag here on this site make me a lid that looks amazing! Check out his site...octolids.com I believe. Google is easiest lol

Some have cut holes in their lids and put other lights in them but then you have to worry about over heating and proper light coverage.

Dave's led makes a in lid conversion that runs about 400. But it still isn't like the LED lights that you can hang.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the biocubes. I like rimless/topless myself. If you can “add” to what is already in it, I’d do that

Gorilla4200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the biocubes. I like rimless/topless myself. If you can “add” to what is already in it, I’d do that
I got the ai hd prime from aquaillumination. They came out with a new model recently so the old ones are 20 percent off if you looks around. 160.00 or so. I love mine so far.
Softies, lps, mushrooms all growing strong

Twìsted~Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that fit in his lid? He wants the lid
Wow that’s tough I’ve seen Led light upgrade kits but I think it’s a waste of money. Personally I would cut or saw a whole on the top and run a ecotech XR 15 or The new Kessil a360X

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's tough looking into all the ones you guys linked they all sit a foot above the tank. I would have to make a new lid. I was really trying to avoid it since animals in house, and occasional remodeling it keeps it pretty safe with that hood.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there’s nothing wrong with the current lighting. They get a lot of trash talk but I personally had no problem with their ability to grow corals. If you really want to keep the lid and think one light isn’t enough, get another orbit and run that sucker! But if you really want MAXIMUM growth and color, I’ve found that AI lights are much better. Don’t waste money on eco tech, Ai is owned by eco tech and they use the same led’s. I’ve personally used all three and keep going back to the ai. If you are willing to go rimless, I recommend the ai prime as I think that’s the best option and has more than enough power for that tank. If you want to keep the lid, I recommend another orbit. You could also get an orbit ic or pro if your budget allows.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there’s nothing wrong with the current lighting. They get a lot of trash talk but I personally had no problem with their ability to grow corals. If you really want to keep the lid and think one light isn’t enough, get another orbit and run that sucker! But if you really want MAXIMUM growth and color, I’ve found that AI lights are much better. Don’t waste money on eco tech, Ai is owned by eco tech and they use the same led’s. I’ve personally used all three and keep going back to the ai. If you are willing to go rimless, I recommend the ai prime as I think that’s the best option and has more than enough power for that tank. If you want to keep the lid, I recommend another orbit. You could also get an orbit ic or pro if your budget allows.
Any idea how to know which orbit I have atm?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orbit ic has multiple different colors such as green and red. The g1 pro is much fatter. The normal orbit marine is thin, and has white and blue leds.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orbit ic has multiple different colors such as green and red. The g1 pro is much fatter. The normal orbit marine is thin, and has white and blue leds.
Yeah I def have the normal one then. So a second orbit would help? I'm just trying to get zoas anchor and mushrooms to grow well.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I could build up a area in the middle to put something how high do one of these better ones need to be from the water level for the 29g biocube

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for so many questions lighting is a big step for me... could u do this with the ai prime hd
post-90676-0-87192900-1456946920.jpg

It would still be protected by the interior clear part of the lid it could even be bigger.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back