Please help me ID new to saltwater

bakermom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a few things in my aquarium I need help identifying. One I’m pretty sure is a pineapple sponge. The others not sure

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a few things in my aquarium I need help identifying. One I’m pretty sure is a pineapple sponge. The others not sure

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
aiptasia and sponge

Upvote 0

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful it's a spaghetti worm. Looks like a hair worm to me.
I dont .it has tenticles over the sand bed all extending from the same spot. Unless thats not what im seeing. Good guy.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont .it has tenticles over the sand bed all extending from the same spot. Unless thats not what im seeing. Good guy.
Both are good guys but 1.spaghetti worms are relatively rare in our tanks, and 2. spaghetti worms are white, not brown/striped.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a mystery...
@ISpeakForTheSeas
This is one that I’ve seen a handful of times but haven’t been able to nail down an ID for yet - the best guess I’ve seen so far is that it’s a foraminiferan of some variety, but I haven’t been able to verify that. These do seem to be totally harmless, and they seem to go away on their own after a while, IIRC.

For a similar specimen:
Edit: Just to add, I’ve heard from one or two sources now that these things can move )I’m not sure if it’s purposeful movement or not), but they generally seem to stay in place. (This is one of two ID’s that has been bothering me for a while now, so if anyone has ideas to point us in the right direction, let me know.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cindy72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.im new to the reef world an my 90 gallon has been up for about 4 months now.and am having trouble finding the accurate identity of the white & few black tube like things all over my rock.i also have this round white thing coming out of a hole in the last photo.i know i have a couple aptasia which are dealing with.I also have the white sponge like stuff on there as well.please if anyone could help???
Where did you get your rock from?
I purchased it from a local store close to me in Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4153.jpeg
    IMG_4153.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4151.jpeg
    IMG_4151.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.im new to the reef world an my 90 gallon has been up for about 4 months now.and am having trouble finding the accurate identity of the white & few black tube like things all over my rock.i also have this round white thing coming out of a hole in the last photo.i know i have a couple aptasia which are dealing with.I also have the white sponge like stuff on there as well.please if anyone could help???

I purchased it from a local store close to me in Ohio
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see what looks like some white vermetid snail tubes (they seem to spiral at the base, or I would guess tube worm tubes), some spirorbid worms, and probably a barnacle in that last pic (the round white thing) - I can't see the black things well enough, but with the tube-like description, it may well be vermetid snails again.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back