Please help me set up a tank for abalone (and nothing else)

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up a tank to hold abalone, and nothing else. This is for an amateur science project, and will not need to be decorative in nature, at all. Any help that can be given will be appreciated.

I have a 90 gallon glass tank on a stand. I plan to drill a hole in it to plumb it for either adding a sump immediately, or to have the option of doing this later. The proposed sump will be under the aquarium, in the stand cabinet. I’m thinking that to avoid hassles later, I should probably add a sump right from the beginning.

The purpose of the sump will be to add extra water to the system, and to provide habitat for beneficial microbes that can keep the tank clean. I will not need a refugium for young fish, etc.

I currently have gravel, power jets for circulating water in the “display” tank, and two fluvial U2 underwater filters, and a heat exchanger, and air pumps. The tank is currently next to a window, and I’d rather not have to move it. The overall theme of the build will be to put enough quality equipment into it so that it works properly, without wasting money on that which is not needed.

I need to know where to plumb the tank. I’ll be using home-made drain unless there is a considerable advantage to using a store bought overflow box. I’m thinking that I’ll drill a hole about 2” below the desired water level, so that I can have a pipe running up from here. I can then swivel the pipe to finely tune the water level. For safety, how high should the tank be filled? Is it fine if it’s right up to the lip, or should I have it a bit lower? In the event of power loss, I don’t want the sump to overflow. I might just put a check valve at the bottom of the hose to the sump. The head from the top of the tank to the floor is 4.5’.

Before I plumb the tank, I need to know what size hole I should use. This will be determined by the maximum amount of passive flow I need to have through the drain. This will be determined by the turnover rate I need between the display and the sump. For my purposes, I don’t see why this can’t be rather low, like 3x the volume of the display per hour. The only issue I see for running turnover this low is lack of heat homogenization. As this might be a serious issue, perhaps I should run at least 5-7x the volume of the display per hour. Or, should I focus more on TOTAL system volume?

As for return rates, it seems that those with high turnover rates like high rates for algal health.
As long as I’m going to drill the tank, I think that maybe I should over drill the size of the hole right away rather than under drill it. This way, in the future, the tank will have more versatility.

Should I have any algae in the sump at all? I can see it doing its part to clean the water, but it will also require lighting. I won’t have algae in the display, since the abalone will eat it. If there is not algae in the sump, does the sump need to get any light at all? Should the sump be covered? I’d like to use an external pump, mainly to keep the temperature down. Temps need to be maintained in the upper 60s, lower 80s are lethal.

Should I add live rock, or just gravel? I’m planning to add medium to the sump onto which beneficial microbes can grow. I don’t plan on having any companion animals, but should I?

I’ll have a protein skimmer.

Should the sump be covered?

Should I attempt to block as much light as possible from the tank, or should I let sunlight in?

As for temperature regulation, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I live in a climate with cold winters, and the tank will be in a basement. For six months of the year, if anything, I might have to actually heat the tank to proper temperature, provided I keep the room cold enough. In the warmer months, unfortunately I run a dehumidifier, which heats the basement further above 70 degrees than it already is. One option is to run an air conditioner. This would not be desirable since it would be expensive. Another option is to use the heat exchanger. The exchanger involves two separate flows of water, which exchange heat with each other. One flow of water would have a send and return to the sump. The other, would have a send and return to a cooler full of ice water. I’d have to replace ice on a daily basis. The two flows of water need to be powered by external pumps. I don’t know what rate of flow I should use.

I plan to have battery backup for the tank. In the event of a power outage, and they will occur, I need to keep the tank limping along until the power comes back. Part of the reason a smaller sump pump would be an advantage is that it would draw less power in such a situation. However, I can simply have dual sump pumps. One will be large, and handle most of the flow, while the other is small. Or, they can both be the same size, and add to enough volume when used together. Regardless, the point in having two sump pumps, other than for having a safety margin in case one fails, is that one can be small enough to run off of backup power.

I think the only things I’d need to run off of backup would be heat, the two pumps for the heat exchanger, a small pump to keep flow moving through the sump so that the microbes won’t die, and the U2 filters (so the bacteria in these won’t die). Perhaps I’d also run a bubbler. As an off-the-cuff estimation, I’d think I could get three hours of run time out of a 100-AH battery. I probably should look into buying a generator in the future. This might even be a bit much. I might just be able to remove the filter media from the U2,s and put it in the display, using a bubbler and a pump to keep minimal circulation, while I do the same with the sump. However, I’d still need to address temperature. How long will the microbes stay alive if water flow stops, but heat is maintained? I’d guess at least a day. I ask in relation to cutting the pumps while feeding, also.

I might be able to pick up either a used CS-2 skimmer or a Reef Octopus 150 skimmer. Will either do as well as the other? I’m guessing that a 33 gallon “breeder tank” should make a fine sump, what do you think?

I don’t know what I’ll do for kalkwasser. I’ll probably hook a drip pump up to a stirred holding container, but I don’t know.

I might put in a level-2 UV lamp, but I don’t know.

Am I overlooking anything important? Thanks.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you're doing is overkill and with regards to some of the equipment, completely unnecessary. You want to keep an abalone alive with minimal cost and fuss right? First off what species? Is it a tropical abalone or a cold water abalone? If it's Haliotis rufescens that's totally different than a tropical variety. I'm going to assume it's a warm water variety.

A few things come to mind:

1. Canister filters are generally considered outdated in the saltwater hobby. Good porous live rock or equivalent ceramic media will provide all the necessary space for beneficial bacteria.
  2. Air pumps aren't necessary if you have adequate flow.
  3. What type of gravel are you talking about that you have? You're probably better off with a bare bottom tank (no sand or gravel). Those substrates are generally for appearances and certain creatures that live in the sand.
  4. You will want live rock or ceramic media.
  5. You will want a skimmer, ideally one rated for a larger tank than what you have.
  6. Of course put algae in the display, how else will your abalone eat it?
  7. Yes you need light but for growing algae several daylight CFLs are probably sufficient.
  8. I think UV is overkill.
  9. Get an ATO and put kalkwasser in the ATO reservoir. Or dose 2 part. Either way growing mollusks will absorb a lot of calcium and alkalinity.
Just my thoughts. Sorry I can't help with regards to the sump, I don't use one.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure the tank that you intend to drill is NOT tempered glass. Who is the manufacturer of your tank?

If you think you are going to use a sump, the level of difficulty is greatly increased if you choose to add it to an existing setup as you would first have to empty the entire tank of its contents and find temporary storage for everything inside until you complete the work.

So I would make a decision on the sump before moving forward.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I should have specified the species. It is the cold-water species H. rufescens that Ghost25 has alluded to.
Regarding Ghost 25's points:
3 and 4: It's great to know that I won't need gravel. I'm assuming that I can just buy a small piece of live rock, and that it will "seed" any ceramic media that I have in the tank, is this right? Is there any advantage/disadvantage from putting rocks or water from the ocean instead of live rock in order to cycle it? I'd guess that there are more undesirable microbes in tanks than in the wild.
5. Good to know that I should get an oversized skimmer. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the brands. I might be able to buy a used Seaside Aquatics CS-2 or a Reef Octopus 150. I've heard great things about the CS-2, but maybe I just need a Reef Octopus. The CS-2 is rated for 230 gal, so I'm guessing it would be great. If I don't have a sump, can I mount it so that it's half in/half out of the display tank?
6. I was going to buy dried seaweed at the local asian market, not grow it. I suppose I will grow it if there's some real benefit to doing so. I'd guess any growing in the tank would be destroyed and consumed pretty quickly anyway.

Ghost, it's interesting that your setup is just water circulating over rocks with no filters. As for power backup, I guess I just need to keep temp and flow going in the main tank, assuming I don't have a sump.

Dom: I don't know who made the tank, I picked it up used. The glass looks to be 3/8" thick on the sides. I was under the impression that most tanks use non-tempered glass on the sides. Am I wrong about this?

It seems the only advantage of a sump in my case would be to add additional water to the system. I always thought that sumps or filters were mandatory. As ghost demonstrates, I guess this isn't the case. So, even if I use this as a "regular" saltwater tank in the future, would I probably want a sump, or not? When people talk about turnover, are they referring to the total volume of the system, or just the display? Because if it's for the display, a 1" pipe would give me 960 gal/hr max passive flow rate, which seems sufficient.

Edit: I probably should drill the tank right away. I'll either use a sump, into which water will need to flow, or I'll need to have the option of hooking the chiller right to the display tank.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a sump because I have a hang on back skimmer, skimmers rated for larger tanks are often designed to sit in the 4-6" of water so they generally go in a sump. It also depends how much nutrients you plan to put into the tank. If you have lots of abalone and feed lots of dead algae you may need a large skimmer, if you don't have dense stocking you may only need a relatively small skimmer. The general rule for rock is 0.75-1Lb per gallon.

If you do decide to go without a sump you might want to check out this skimmer: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh2000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer-1.html

For rock you may want to check out this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reef-saver-dry-aquarium-live-rock.html

You will need to seed your live rock, I used natural sea water, a commercial bacterial blend (I used Microbacter7), and seed rock from another hobbyist tank. Even with all that it will take time for the bacteria to become established and stable. Starting with aquacultured live rock or live rock from a healthy established tank would be faster but more expensive, also you might have significant die off given your colder water temperature.

I would certainly try to seed the tank with algae/kelp that you know the abalone will eat, dried algae will rot quickly and increase undesirable nitrate, phosphate, and ammonia in your tank. Live kelp/algae will grow given the right environment and potentially absorb those undesirable compounds.

I think keeping the temperature cold will be a problem, if you use a heat exchanger with a cooler the best bet would be to use some kind of controller such as a PID attached to a solid state relay. A simpler but less efficient method would be to have a heater in the tank and a slow constant flow of water through the heat exchanger such that the heat exchanger constantly undershoots the temperature and the heater corrects it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back