51D00B25-5A63-49F0-9A88-6915BC52CBEE.png
C6E86067-DD82-4D65-8739-9CFF94CCF5A0.png

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My best recommendation is to go find Reef Moonshiners and Andre's calculators. Then input your info. It will give you a general idea of where your tank is at. Andre's system is also a fantastic read to help understand trace elements more.

Salinity is more than just sodium but I'm not sure how it all translates or if you can deduce your salinity from the above numbers.

I really like ATI ICP tests for this reason. They measure more than anyone else.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best recommendation is to go find Reef Moonshiners and Andre's calculators. Then input your info. It will give you a general idea of where your tank is at. Andre's system is also a fantastic read to help understand trace elements more.

Salinity is more than just sodium but I'm not sure how it all translates or if you can deduce your salinity from the above numbers.

I really like ATI ICP tests for this reason. They measure more than anyone else.
I’m gonna go buy one of those this one made my head hurt.

question about the reef moonshiners calculator I just input those numbers right?

Moonshiners is one of the reasons i actually did an ICP test

I think I wanna give it a shot.

this icp test didn’t give me a few things I wanted like alkalinity!

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity (ppt) = 1.80655 x Chlorinity (ppt)

For your sample, 19,265ppm

First convert ppm to ppt by dividing by 1000.
So you have 1.9265ppt x 1.80655 = 34.8031858

Using the calculator here;
You have a relative specific gravity of 1.0262 (dependent on temperature).

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I love you thank you!

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you use the Chlorine to determine salinity? Interesting

so then my salinity is where I want it, right? Man I should have taken chemistry lol

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my understanding of it, yes. I’m also 100% positive there are people here who could explain it better than I can. I would need to do more research. I didn’t take chemistry, but I was able to figure that out with Google after you posted.

I would assume your readings are fairly accurate, if your temperature is close to 77 F.

I try to help! Definitely still learning. I’ve been dying to see someone’s test results so I could use them for testing equations.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they look very good to me.
Maybe MG 20ppm higher, Postassium maybe another 40ppm, but all else looked great.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my understanding of it, yes. I’m also 100% positive there are people here who could explain it better than I can. I would need to do more research. I didn’t take chemistry, but I was able to figure that out with Google after you posted.

I would assume your readings are fairly accurate, if your temperature is close to 77 F.

I try to help! Definitely still learning. I’ve been dying to see someone’s test results so I could use them for testing equations.
I just order an ATI ICP test kit so I’ll have better results for you!

I’m giving the moonshiners method a try I hate waterchanges

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they look very good to me.
Maybe MG 20ppm higher, Postassium maybe another 40ppm, but all else looked great.
Yeah I’m working on the mag. I actually dose after I sent the test off. I need to get potassium.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That equation is one that is used. It would be a ball park number in this case. Other variables would throw that equation off. To get more exact numbers. You would have to find the real Cl% analytically. There are parts missing in this icp test that you would need to get % Cl equation to be more precise. An easier way given what you have would be to add everything up 32439.4/1000 = 32.4394 grams per 1000g seawater giving you 1.0244 S.G. using calculator.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know whether Randy's opinion would dovetail with mine, but figuring salinity (and by extension, specific gravity) from the results of an ICP test probably falls into the category "I already have the data, it's interesting to calculate" rather than "I'm going to assume the salinity I calculate from the ICP results is highly accurate, and I'm going to make judgements about the accuracy of my refractometer or conductivity meter based on that salinity".

There's no doubt that ICP (Inductively Coupled Plasma) is a highly accurate measurement for low concentration metallic elements in solution, which is why it's the go-to method in a laboratory for testing aqueous environmental samples for many purposes, such as pollution assessment, trace element levels for aquaculture, etc... However, the accuracy of the results is very dependent on a particular laboratory's practices such as the accuracy of the elemental standards used to calibrate the instrument, sample handling practices, analytical methods, preventative maintenance on the instrument, etc...

In my opinion, and for the purposes of reef keeping, the best way to judge the accuracy of specific gravity/salinity measurement devices is with accurate refractometry and/or conductivity standards. In the case of specific gravity, one other way to back-check your device is to purchase a class-A 1 liter volumetric flask and an accurate scale. Presuming the temperature of the sample is within a few degrees of your tank's temperature and one reads the meniscus of the calibrated 1 liter mark on the flask properly, calculating specific gravity is simply a matter of dividing the weight of the 1L sample in grams by 1000. For example, a seawater sample that has a specific gravity of 1.026 will weigh 1026 grams per liter.

Accurate laboratory glassware such as 1L volumetric flasks and accurate balances used to be very expensive and were generally only used by those of us that had access to laboratories at work. But advances in electronics and manufacturing processes have made the necessary equipment much, much cheaper - definitely within the grasp of most reef tank keepers.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got a good deal on ICP test through ICP-Analysis.com

but can someone help me understand what I am seeing here
Test393352082_Results.jpeg
51D00B25-5A63-49F0-9A88-6915BC52CBEE.png
C6E86067-DD82-4D65-8739-9CFF94CCF5A0.png
Before you can ask what these numbers mean, you first have to ask how accurate these numbers are. Should you trust these numbers? Are they BS? How can you tell? Bad news, vendors do not provide you with any information about the likelihood that the numbers they supply are close to reality. Without accuracy estimates, ICP measurements are only somewhat more useful then reading tea leaves.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you can ask what these numbers mean, you first have to ask how accurate these numbers are. Should you trust these numbers? Are they BS? How can you tell? Bad news, vendors do not provide you with any information about the likelihood that the numbers they supply are close to reality. Without accuracy estimates, ICP measurements are only somewhat more useful then reading tea leaves.
I sent an test out to ATI and that ICP test seems more legit.

ICP test are better than what you can do at home.

I’m also now running the reef moonshiners method which requires ICP test so you can dose elements back to tank to keep them at natural sea water levels

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an test out to ATI and that ICP test seems more legit.

ICP test are better than what you can do at home.

I’m also now running the reef moonshiners method which requires ICP test so you can dose elements back to tank to keep them at natural sea water levels
Just for the record, we humans have no means to judge whether analytical results are “legitimate“. As for using dubious test results in some calculation, there is saying “garbage in garbage out”, which refers to conclusions based on dubious data aren’t worth much.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, we humans have no means to judge whether analytical results are “legitimate“. As for using dubious test results in some calculation, there is saying “garbage in garbage out”, which refers to conclusions based on dubious data aren’t worth much.
Wow. Just wow. Have a nice day.

Back