OP
RyanHoan

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the great advice.

I'm going to follow your instruction as best I can.

However, I'm a naturalist by heart (and stubbornness), and I just don't like the idea of dosing phosphates and nitrates. Anyone with me on this? I will absolutely increase my feeding though.

Also,

Can anyone explain to be how fish poop is different from coral food/aminos? why would one be good for this situation, and one feed the dinos?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well played
Ryan I’m glad you started this thread,, I’ve read it 2x all pages trying to soak up the information being tossed out there by people that seem to know what their talking about. I wish you the best of luck with your situation

OP
OP
RyanHoan

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

my LFS has seachem liquid nitrogen and phosphate for freshwater tanks. Can I use that?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

However, I'm a naturalist by heart (and stubbornness), and I just don't like the idea of dosing phosphates and nitrates. Anyone with me on this? I will absolutely increase my feeding though.

Also,

Can anyone explain to be how fish poop is different from coral food/aminos? why would one be good for this situation, and one feed the dinos?

There is a lot we do not know about dinoflagellates. They are strange organisms with a range of properties that is bizarre. They can swim. They photosynthesize. They produce toxins used offensively and defensively. They live in communities. They can go dormant in protective cysts. And they are everywhere in marine environments, just waiting for some kind of imbalance that allows them to take over the bottom of the food chain. I am no scientist, but I find that combination kinda freaky.

Another thing I find interesting is that 10 years ago, they were not a thing in reefing. Maybe they showed up in the early "uglies" phase and no one paid them any attention. Now they are incredibly common. Everybody has their own theories about why: dead rock starts, lack of diversity, Vibrant (algaecide), chemiclean (erythromycin), aminos, LED spectrum, GFO the list goes on. My vote is "All of the Above".

As to fish poop versus amino acids as a food source? I dunno, but I will go with the power of 160 million years of coral reef evolution.

<End Rant>

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also,

Hi Ryan

I also went the increase feeding way, but without much success. Currently under black out until the end of the day. That is already bring Nitrate up, still no phosphate. Probably will end up dosing some phosphate.
Hope it works better for you.

The biggest difference between Aminos and fish poop is probably the availability. Aminos are ready to be consumed as "individual" building blocks. Fish poop on the other ends needs to be broken down. This can be down by ingesting it in the case of animals with mouths or digested externally in the case of bacteria and such organisms, using enzymes.
While I am a scientist working with recirculation systems I know almost nothing about Dinos, so I'm just speculating here, but if they are bad at competing for food (maybe slow at digesting complex molecules) it would be possible that the aminos (as simple, ready to be used building blocks) give them the advantage they need.

Also, I think ScottB is right that there are a lot of factors to Dinos. I believe one is the lack of biodiversity with dry rock. It feels like its less common in thanks started with live rock, but a lot of other factors come in to play.

Best of luck

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats been a lot of good advice through out this thread I just like to add that dosing live phytoplankton is a plus wend fighting dinoflagellates. They will help outcompete the dinos and also contain po4 which will help raise your phosphate naturally.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats been a lot of good advice through out this thread I just like to add that dosing live phytoplankton is a plus wend fighting dinoflagellates. They will help outcompete the dinos and also contain po4 which will help raise your phosphate naturally.
I like that idea. Do you culture it yourself or buy it bottled? Source/brand?
thanks.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea. Do you culture it yourself or buy it bottled? Source/brand?
thanks.
I always got a culture going as Imo phyto in small doses is beneficial for marine life. Brand or species it’s just a personal preference, in the United Kingdom forums we all have been very successful getting rid of dinoflagellates using live phytoplankton.

OP
OP
RyanHoan

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are the best.

Update:

Started dosing phosphates
Started dosing phyto plankton
Shortened refugium light to 4 hours
I'll test for Phos and Nitrates later today.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot we do not know about dinoflagellates. They are strange organisms with a range of properties that is bizarre. They can swim. They photosynthesize. They produce toxins used offensively and defensively. They live in communities. They can go dormant in protective cysts. And they are everywhere in marine environments, just waiting for some kind of imbalance that allows them to take over the bottom of the food chain. I am no scientist, but I find that combination kinda freaky.

Another thing I find interesting is that 10 years ago, they were not a thing in reefing. Maybe they showed up in the early "uglies" phase and no one paid them any attention. Now they are incredibly common. Everybody has their own theories about why: dead rock starts, lack of diversity, Vibrant (algaecide), chemiclean (erythromycin), aminos, LED spectrum, GFO the list goes on. My vote is "All of the Above".

As to fish poop versus amino acids as a food source? I dunno, but I will go with the power of 160 million years of coral reef evolution.

<End Rant>
I find this comment interesting. Algae has been around way before humans ever set foot in this world. I don't buy that it's the last ten years of showing up. Most of the time Cinos, Cyano and Diatoms show up from trying to push things too fast. That's why it's a problem in the last ten years. These things will all go away in time and a little patience.
This whole thread is about someone trying to push things too fast. Nopox and everything else being thrown at the tank. Let the tank evolve, have patience. It will come along on its own.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish poop is something that's more available to corals, especially phosphate because it's gone through the fish and has been broken down for the corals. Just look at a reef. There's tons of fish on a reef. Nature works wonders.

OP
OP
RyanHoan

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of dosing both nitrates and phosphates (NEO NITRO and SEACHEM Flourish)
Day 1 of UV

Phosphates: 0.4
Nitrates: 0.5-1 range

tank has dramatically fewer Dinos! Sorry for the bad pics, but my tank is hardly feeling cute.

D06C5545-DE0D-4256-86D3-1F019C01E9CA.jpeg

625239CE-EC83-4209-A469-815AE9295444.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of dosing both nitrates and phosphates (NEO NITRO and SEACHEM Flourish)
Day 1 of UV

Phosphates: 0.4
Nitrates: 0.5-1 range

tank has dramatically fewer Dinos! Sorry for the bad pics, but my tank is hardly feeling cute.

D06C5545-DE0D-4256-86D3-1F019C01E9CA.jpeg

625239CE-EC83-4209-A469-815AE9295444.jpeg

thats awesome news buddy, it looks like you winning this battle

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That UV light is going to do wonders for your tank you’re going to ask yourself why you didn’t have it long ago
Absolutely true! I will never run a tank w/out one

OP
OP
RyanHoan

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been more than a week with UV and dosing and I'm definitely seeing results.

Phos is holding steady at 0.06 and Nitrates are around 4-5.

There are still little patches of dinos in the sand, but none on the rock or coral. Will these eventually fade away if I keep doing what I'm doing?

I'm seeing more coralline, bubble algae, and aptasia now! Eek!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back