Please Help!! No3 problem..

Arw1b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I have an aquarium sps which run over than 6month..
From the first month until 5month my spa tank was so great. My no3 is 2-5ppm and my po4 is 0.03-0.5 used salifert test kit.
And run on the 6 month my no3 become 50ppm and my po4 become 0.03ppm.
I read many article that using vodka is very good to low down the nitrates. I already apply that with the dosing pump 1ml per 1times.
Every week i test the nitrates and still same and i add more 1ml every week. And after 7week i dose 7times already. But my no3 still 50ppm and my po4 still 0.03.. And many my sps died .. And after that i cut the dose become 3times in a day.. Because maybe already too much..

I'm so stress for this problem.. Any one can help? Thanks

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%50 water change.
I don't know much about carbon dosing but that sounds like too much
also before dosing id do more research into what it will do to your tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are a brute force method of nutrient export. But they are effective. It is the simplest quick fix.

I have used chaeto in a refugium with a powerful light effectively for control of nitrates and phosphates. If you try it, you can get the opposite problem of starving your SPS of nitrates and phosphates. I deal with this by dosing nitrates and phosphates. If you try this method, you can go from feast to famine.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest way to reduce your nutrient levels is water changes, so for a quick fix do a series of 20% water changes over a few weeks and that will reduce the level.

But you need to make sure that you use clean 0 TDS RODI water for the saltmix to ensure your not adding nutrients back in.

As far as carbon dosing (vodka) if your going down that route I would start at a low daily dose, and then increase by 1ml extra per day every week (assuming you haven’t got a nano tank or similar small system) until the nitrate levels starts to fall. If you get any bacterial blooms then back of a little.

I use Red Sea Nopox personally and it’s very effective at Nitrate control, less so with phosphate

And welcome to R2R as well it’s great to have you with us!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back