Please help save my hair! Not hair algae!

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where to begin. Been reefing a few years now and this is my other half's RS300G2. Been running about a year. Has Varios 6 pump, Reefmat 500, Aqua 25 watt UV, Nyos 120 skimmer, 2 G5 XR 15's and 2 Reefwave 25's all under Apex and Reefdose. About 7 smaller fish, couple hermit crabs, Conch and a few snails. Have couple of carpet nems and a rainbow that are doing well. We are currently dosing 3.5ml Nopox and 2.0ml RS Foundation B. Current parameters as of this morning are PH 8.3, Nitrates around 4-5, phospates are around .09-.10, Alk is a little low at 7.6 so upped the Fondation B to 3.5.

The issue is for the last 4 months or so have an Algae/ Dino issue I CANNOT get resolved. The video attached is a day after sand was cleaned. After a few days sand will be almost covered with this dark red almost black thick stuff. Tried blackout (4days), 50% water changes (0tds RODI and tropic Marin Salt), 3 bottles of different copepods, Cleaning/ vacuuming sand more often, not dosing No Pox and leaving alone for a month and nothing seems to changes. After Blackout if looked nice for a couple of days and then was right back. I even tried Chemipure to make sure was not Cyano. Think that it is Dynos but thought UV was supposed to help with them. I am a at a loss and wife is ready to give up. I( am not there yet but it is certainly wearing on me. Anythoughts on what else I can try would be GREATLY appreciated! 20231217_093253.jpg

Attachments

• 20231217_092937.mp4
    25 MB

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can’t see it. But. I’m having success beating those things with coral snow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back