Please help to identify this algae - If I can’t I think it is game over

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would carbon dosing help or hurt
carbon, no efefct. Urchins and conchs most lileky to work on it as well as pitho crabs. This looks similar to dictyota especially if branches are fork shape. This substance needs complete removal best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. . . . . .
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do. All my numbers are good. Phosphate .03, nitrate .01 alkalinity 10.0. I’m running a UV sterilizer. I tried to clean the rocks in the tank, but it made it worse, not better. It start on the underside of the rocks so I wasn’t too worried. Now it is going everywhere. Thank you. I’m planning on getting a microscope
Those aren't good numbers at all

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found this to work better
C86CF4F8-31A2-407C-841F-A67E608618B8.png

I use for Cleaning frag plugs quickly and also when I had algae growing on exposed coral skeleton. Use stiff nylon brush for most situations. But I have used stainless for very tough jobs.

You could scrub down a rock in a few minutes with these

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back