Please help! Unknown pest on candy cane

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the feeder tentacles come out at night? You could try target feeding them at night if you haven't been. 0 phosphate would certainly be an issue for the corals if they are not catching enough food.

What do you have for clean up crew? Maybe need something to help keep the hair algae in check. You will not be able to starve it out without killing the corals too. You could also look into fluconazole treatment for hair and Bryopsis algae.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the feeder tentacles come out at night? You could try target feeding them at night if you haven't been. 0 phosphate would certainly be an issue for the corals if they are not catching enough food.

What do you have for clean up crew? Maybe need something to help keep the hair algae in check. You will not be able to starve it out without killing the corals too. You could also look into fluconazole treatment for hair and Bryopsis algae.
I have 2 turbos, 1 astrea, 1 trochus and 5 nassarius snails and 1 fighting conch. I know I need more, i will be getting more trochus and turbos if i find any the next time i go to my lfs. And yes the feeding tentacles do come out at night however the pesky little cleaner shrimp will steal away most of the reef roids that i could feed the canes.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 turbos, 1 astrea, 1 trochus and 5 nassarius snails and 1 fighting conch. I know I need more, i will be getting more trochus and turbos if i find any the next time i go to my lfs. And yes the feeding tentacles do come out at night however the pesky little cleaner shrimp will steal away most of the reef roids that i could feed the canes.
When I had a cleaner shrimp I would toss him a frozen mysis or two and that would keep him busy for a while. I have better luck with lps pellets or frozen chopped mysis with my lps. The reef roids as so fine.. even if I make a very thick paste it ends and turn all my pumps way down it ends up going mostly into the water.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a vid right after feeding reef roids. you can see on the central candy cane that there is like a white triangular thing protruding out of it. Is that the skeleton? What could cause the skeleton to melt away like this?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like much of the tissue has receded and the skeleton around the top is showing through. Lots of potential causes but if I had to take a guess it would be nutrients dropping too low and the coral has been slowly starving and shrinking. Lots of potential other causes as to why a coral just slowly withers away while those next to it are happy. For long term success water stability with regard to nutrients and parameters such as alk, ca, mg are key

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back