Please Help us.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely fighting hair algae. Taking rocks out one by one and scraping and rinsing will help. We need to find a way to absorb nutrients so algae cannot use it to grow. Keep manually going at the algae and sand.

What we need is a competitor. Some use chaeto in the sump (you would have to find a light and be able to get it flowing back there. Some try algae scrubbers (not sure any will fit in that AIO). Maybe try the chemipure blue instead of current carbon.

We also need to find the source of so much fuel for algae. Maybe lights? Maybe feeding? Rocks leaching? Dirty sump area or filter floss not changed often enough. Lots of thoughts.

A small tuxedo urchin can help too. They love algae, but also love to carry things like snails, frags, rocks, etc.

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely fighting hair algae. Taking rocks out one by one and scraping and rinsing will help. We need to find a way to absorb nutrients so algae cannot use it to grow. Keep manually going at the algae and sand.

What we need is a competitor. Some use chaeto in the sump (you would have to find a light and be able to get it flowing back there. Some try algae scrubbers (not sure any will fit in that AIO). Maybe try the chemipure blue instead of current carbon.

We also need to find the source of so much fuel for algae. Maybe lights? Maybe feeding? Rocks leaching? Dirty sump area or filter floss not changed often enough. Lots of thoughts.

A small tuxedo urchin can help too. They love algae, but also love to carry things like snails, frags, rocks, etc.

This weekend I will get the rocks and sand cleaned with a water change.

I do have a small reactor and UV sterilizer on it, so I wonder if there is a better media to put in it. I dont really have the space for chaeto or an algae scrubber.

What are your feelings on using Vibrant as well?

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2501 (2).jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried vibrant in my system and honestly cannot say it helped the hair algae. Maybe I was not religious enough to dose properly though. I am bad about that sort of stuff. It may help and have not found it to hurt.

I have not used a UV sterilizer. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do not think it will hurt at this point, just not sure how much it will help. Get some of the chemipure media. It is good. Love that little reactor!

Oh, just thought about this, duh! You can change your media reactor into a algae reactor. Since you really do not have any corals to worry about carbon needed currently. Plus it may help in the long run. Just need a light on the reactor and some chaeto. You want enough flow to tumble the chaeto. You will want to run it opposite light schedule (16-20hrs a day) and block the light from your main display.

It takes time to get a alage reactor or scrubber fully running and active. Months even. Give it time. Just keep doing the scrub and water changes. It will help long term. I run one on almost all my systems. Although, I use the UAS rather than reactors.

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried vibrant in my system and honestly cannot say it helped the hair algae. Maybe I was not religious enough to dose properly though. I am bad about that sort of stuff. It may help and have not found it to hurt.

I have not used a UV sterilizer. Maybe someone else can chime in. I do not think it will hurt at this point, just not sure how much it will help. Get some of the chemipure media. It is good. Love that little reactor!

Oh, just thought about this, duh! You can change your media reactor into a algae reactor. Since you really do not have any corals to worry about carbon needed currently. Plus it may help in the long run. Just need a light on the reactor and some chaeto. You want enough flow to tumble the chaeto. You will want to run it opposite light schedule (16-20hrs a day) and block the light from your main display.

It takes time to get a alage reactor or scrubber fully running and active. Months even. Give it time. Just keep doing the scrub and water changes. It will help long term. I run one on almost all my systems. Although, I use the UAS rather than reactors.

Thank you for all the info.

I have a few other freshwater tanks with sumps and was really trying to ease my way into the saltwater world. Honestly, at this point I should of just gone with the bigger tank and complete setup that I wanted.

OP
OP
Theducatiman

Theducatiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So last night I removed everything out of the tank and scrubbed it the best I could and did a 90%+ water change. I’ll test the water tonight/tomorrow and see where it sits.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job!
I gave you some company yesterday. Got a bit carried away with a water change on my 40g/20g system and actually emptied the 40g and removed all sand. Scrubbed with H2O2 35% concentrate. Rinsed and moved all my qt corals and lps and clams into the 40g. I put sand into the 20g and put my haddoni carpets into it. So, I feel your pain. So far all good.

I was scraping for gha too. Just a full gut clean. I do this sometimes on my little systems. My 6g was done earlier in the week. That doesn't count as a full clean takes significantly little time.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I removed everything out of the tank and scrubbed it the best I could and did a 90%+ water change. I’ll test the water tonight/tomorrow and see where it sits.

Honestly, manual removal has worked better for me than any product or CUC member when it comes to stuff like this. Good luck, I hope your efforts pay off!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back