Please Help with Reef Octopus 110ext Protein Skimmer

lqdpoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, need some help please. I just got an external RO 110ext protein skimmer that I'm trying to install outside the sump of my 60 gallon tank (30 gal sump, total 90 gal). I'm pairing it with a DC pump (Jebao DCS-1200) rated at 320gph. No matter what I do, water over floods the skimmer, flooding everything. I open the gate valve all the way, floods, close it, floods. I've turned the DC pump down all the way and still floods out the top. I used to run an HOB on my old set up, which was plug and play, this is new venture. Am I missing anything? I feel like I've reached the end of the internet and can't find an answer. Thanks in advance.

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you installing it in relation to the sump? It would be important that the skimmer outlet is at or above sump water level.

I would also suggest a check valve and a ball or gate valve on the skimmer feed. Definitely get the water circulating and stable before turning on the recirculating pump.

From how you describe the problem my first guess is you’ve got an installation location problem.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low of flow can you drop the pump to? Brs site says 150-250 gph on a feed pump.

OP
OP
L

lqdpoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! Reading both I looked into the pump. It’s listed at minimum 320 gph but the seller replied to someone’s question about the minimum flow to be 600?? Also it says for skimmer use in the description but then in another question the seller says this:

“it does not have a wheel ,listed pump is supposed to use as a return/circulation pump,need to change the wheel impeller then can be used in a skimmer.”

Guess I need to change the pump? Also, regarding the location. I have it about an inch or so above the sump. This should be enough, correct? Here’s a small video I had it running for a second before I turned it off to avoid flooding.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pump flow is too high.
Get a controlled flow pump, that way you can dial it down if the flow is too high or not high enough.
External skimmers are great with those kind of pumps since you’re not sitting the skimmer inside the sump the chances of spill are higher so you want to cover yourself on all areas

OP
OP
L

lqdpoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pump flow is too high.
Get a controlled flow pump, that way you can dial it down if the flow is too high or not high enough.
External skimmers are great with those kind of pumps since you’re not sitting the skimmer inside the sump the chances of spill are higher so you want to cover yourself on all areas
Appreciate the advise. I’ll get a smaller gph pump with a control valve. Thank god for Amazon, I can exchange with no problem.

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now seeing more of the facts, agreed on the flow topic. Throwing in a ball valve wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

The position you mentioned should be fine; basically just need to keep the skimmer outlet at or above the water level so the effluent will gravity drain back into the sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back