Please help! Zoa seems to be holding on by a thread

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently got this zoa rock and the power head seems to be too much flow for the zoa? I didn’t have a problem for the first week now it flops all over and looks like it’s hardly staying on. I’ve had a few polps fall off the rock and I don’t have glue to put them back. Tried to glue them tk a dry rock but the superglue I had wouldn’t hold. Not sure what to do and how to make sure I don’t lose a good cluster of polyps. Please help.

8923A374-5AE7-4B5E-9BD8-AEB3C99F0823.jpeg D400C128-31AF-4950-AC9A-965039ED5E16.jpeg

josh1591

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried moving them to an area with less flow? Or are you able to adjust your powerhead/move it higher up so the zoas get less flow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
recently got this zoa rock and the power head seems to be too much flow for the zoa? I didn’t have a problem for the first week now it flops all over and looks like it’s hardly staying on. I’ve had a few polps fall off the rock and I don’t have glue to put them back. Tried to glue them tk a dry rock but the superglue I had wouldn’t hold. Not sure what to do and how to make sure I don’t lose a good cluster of polyps. Please help.

8923A374-5AE7-4B5E-9BD8-AEB3C99F0823.jpeg D400C128-31AF-4950-AC9A-965039ED5E16.jpeg
Too much flow for them is a no-no
Moderate light and subtle flow. Also, lack of feeding and low nutrients can lead to an entire colony melting down. You dont need to target feed as zoas are photosynthetic. Target feeding zoas always provides mixed results when a food falls onto their polyps.

Lastly, good water quality is a must.
dKH: 8.0 - 11.0
Calcium: 400 - 440
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .04 - .06
Nitrates < 10

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you have a powerhead pointed directly at it?

Would need more details..... tank age, tank pic, parameters, lighting, what kind of flow and how many powerheads.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you have a powerhead pointed directly at it?

Would need more details..... tank age, tank pic, parameters, lighting, what kind of flow and how many powerheads.
It is 4 months old now, 13.5 with a power head and the normal pump in the fluval. Lighting is AI Prime. Parameters: Phosphate pretty much 0 / undetectable on My test kit. Salinity: 1.026 Nitrates are 25 on salfite kit and sorry for my ignorance I’m not quite sure what that corresponds to in ppm.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried moving them to an area with less flow? Or are you able to adjust your powerhead/move it higher up so the zoas get less flow?
Yes I’ve been moving it around and it seems like everywhere I move the powerhead it’s still hitting the rock lol. It’s a 13.5 gallon so it’s a little difficult.

josh1591

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve been moving it around and it seems like everywhere I move the powerhead it’s still hitting the rock lol. It’s a 13.5 gallon so it’s a little difficult.
You might need something smaller and less powerful. I'm not sure if you can adjust the flow on yours but it might be better to just remove it at the moment so the zoas can heal. Then look into something smaller or upgrading the return pump to get more flow and removing the powerhead completely.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need something smaller and less powerful. I'm not sure if you can adjust the flow on yours but it might be better to just remove it at the moment so the zoas can heal. Then look into something smaller or upgrading the return pump to get more flow and removing the powerhead completely.
They have been fine and then I left for a day and a half and came home and they were moving around like that. Almost like I got a new power head or something. It’s been on the lowest setting since I’ve gotten it and haven’t had any issues until now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back