Please help

luigid26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank with four clown fish and a goby, it has been running for about a few months I already have brown algae at the bottom and on the glass. But my water level is starting to go down about an inch already from the top and wanted to know what is the proper way or what to use to top it off? Plain tap water ? Or distilled water? I’m not interested in getting a top off system, I am just getting so many answers I just don’t know which one is the right one- thanks in advance!!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sound like you have diatoms which is common in new tanks and usually runs it course as the tank matures. I recommend topping off with RODI water. Best of luck to you!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RODI water is commonly what is used for topping off. Also be careful with 4 clowns - you will likely have a lot of aggression as they get older.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

Just to add, if you do not have an RO/DI system yet. Use distilled water to top off. Do you have a local fish store near you? Another option is to purchase RO/DI from the LFS.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off needs to be done daily. If you're completely against using anything but tap water I'd recommend trading the fish in and converting to freshwater. Not trying to be mean, you're just putting your pets at risk

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting different advice is pretty common in this hobby...and at times it is just a matter of different valid approaches to reaching the same goal. This is one of those questions that has very little debate though. RODI water for sure.

There is often someone who says "tap is fine i been using it 60 years and never seen a diatom", but that person either lies or is extremely fortunate with their tapwater and not indicative of results you should expect.

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank with four clown fish and a goby, it has been running for about a few months I already have brown algae at the bottom and on the glass. But my water level is starting to go down about an inch already from the top and wanted to know what is the proper way or what to use to top it off? Plain tap water ? Or distilled water? I’m not interested in getting a top off system, I am just getting so many answers I just don’t know which one is the right one- thanks in advance!!
Hello and welcome, it seems to me that you need reverse osmosis water for your tank. As for the brown algae. check the nutrients and phosphate in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Test the salinity and determine if you need to add salt or not. Either way use RO water OR distilled.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post pics to determine if its algae-diatoms-cyano

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome7.gif

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back